Deciding on replacement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
malt

Deciding on replacement windows

#1 Post by malt »

Hello,

We're looking at whole-home replacement windows, and I've gotten 4 estimates to chose between. I was looking for any advice folks would have on picking between the group. We're in northern Virginia, just outside Washington, DC.

1) Vytex Potomac windows - $15655
2) Simonton Reflection 5500 - $13125
3) Okna 800 - $19000
4) Renewal by Anderson - $45000 (after their "discounts")

I'm not going for the Anderson windows, as that's pretty outrageous pricing. I like the look of the Okna, but am more concerned about how they will hold up and last. The Okna installers said they are the only "master installers" for Okna in the area, which may or may not matter.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Delaware Mike

Re: Deciding on replacement windows

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Have you reached out to WOW for an OKNA estimate? RBA's pricing is reflective upon Andersen's advertising and brand name recognition commitment more so than the quality of the actual product.

I like the 800 much more so than the Vytex product.

malt

#3 Post by malt »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. The Okna estimate was from WoW. Seemed like a good pitch, but I'm no expert. I don't mind the difference in price, as long as I am getting something better for the money. I plan on being in the house for many years yet, so would rather get a good quality product with good installation.

Thanks for your input on the 800 versus the Vytex. Any more comments would be appreciated as well.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

malt wrote:Hello,

Thanks for the reply. The Okna estimate was from WoW. Seemed like a good pitch, but I'm no expert. I don't mind the difference in price, as long as I am getting something better for the money. I plan on being in the house for many years yet, so would rather get a good quality product with good installation.

Thanks for your input on the 800 versus the Vytex. Any more comments would be appreciated as well.
How many windows? Both vytex potomac and okna 800 are great windows but I would go with WoW based on his expertise and reputation. You will be on very good hands.
Last edited by masterext on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

You really can’t do better than the Okna 800, its an exceptionally nice window all-around. You also can’t do better than Windows on Washington in the DC area either. Their professionalism, integrity and quality installation details make them stand out from the competition.

uncle eddie

#6 Post by uncle eddie »

malt wrote:Hello,

We're looking at whole-home replacement windows, and I've gotten 4 estimates to chose between. I was looking for any advice folks would have on picking between the group. We're in northern Virginia, just outside Washington, DC.

1) Vytex Potomac windows - $15655
2) Simonton Reflection 5500 - $13125
3) Okna 800 - $19000
4) Renewal by Anderson - $45000 (after their "discounts")

I'm not going for the Anderson windows, as that's pretty outrageous pricing. I like the look of the Okna, but am more concerned about how they will hold up and last. The Okna installers said they are the only "master installers" for Okna in the area, which may or may not matter.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Definitely the okna. No reason to worry about how long they will last. They will last the longest out of that group, and as long as any other great window.

WindowsDirectCinci

#7 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I know a lot of people on this board are huge fans of Okna but I don't believe the window is worth that much more or any amount more than the Vytex. The Potomac is a great product and you'll be just as happy with either product. The only thing I would caution is the Vytex window is a commodity in the D.C. Area so if you go that route just make sure the installer is qualified. I will say that although I don't know Wow, his answers and responses on this board show he is a true window professional and knows what he is talking about. So if the difference in price is worth it should depend if he is worth it compared to the other company, but not based on the product.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

The Potomac is a nice window and worthy of consideration, but the Okna 800 is better in most if not all objective and subjective measures. By how much is the part that is debatable. That said, even if they were close, you have one of the best installation companies in the country at your disposal. This is an extremely large investment, being able to utilize Windows on Washington in my humble opinion justifies that cost difference on even if these two quotes were on the same product. Contracting and home improvements have are perennially one of the worst industries as far as customer satisfaction, so to be able to get an A+ company at a fair price is really a no-brainer.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The 800DX is a tank of a window. My installers all love to work with it because of its tight tolerances that make it easy to set. The window will last at least 30 years.
Then there is the install and service, yep, WOW will do an unquestionably excellent job.
Great product + great install = home run.

theWindowNerd.