Should I stucco or replace windows first?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Digital Man

Should I stucco or replace windows first?

#1 Post by Digital Man »

We need to replace our windows, but we would also like to stucco our house. It currently has siding, so we'll be adding stucco. Would you recommend replacing the windows or adding stucco first? Or does it not matter which order it's done in?

My initial thought would be to do the windows first so that they can stucco around them, but I really don't know.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Should I stucco or replace windows first?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Windows, with new construction flanges, flashing, and drip caps, would go first in this case.

Be sure that you have all the drainage details correct and have you installer include closed corner drip caps.

Digital Man

#3 Post by Digital Man »

Windows on Washington wrote:Windows, with new construction flanges, flashing, and drip caps, would go first in this case.

Be sure that you have all the drainage details correct and have you installer include closed corner drip caps.
Thanks for the reply WoW. I'm resuming this project now. I'm not familiar with most of the terms you used, but are these things I would ask the window installer to do when they install the windows, or things I would ask the stucco installer to do when the install the stucco (after the windows)?

It's unlikely that the stucco would go on immediately after the windows. We may wait as much as a year in between, so when they install the windows it would have to work fine with our existing siding for a while before the stucco goes on.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Flashing, flanges, and drip caps are going to be the window installer's section.