Brand new windows, hard to open?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
WinDuhs

Brand new windows, hard to open?

#1 Post by WinDuhs »

I'm getting replacement windows soon.. softlites. Anyway, a friend just got the same exact windows I'm getting, and says they are hard to open/close. They don't glide smoothly. Is this normal for brand new windows? Anything that could be done to fix this? So the windows glide easily? Is it because the installers did something wrong? Any info would be appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Brand new windows, hard to open?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

They can be a bit tight when they are new, but they should be operable under normal force. If they are not, there is something either wrong with the unit or the install.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Windows on Washington wrote:They can be a bit tight when they are new, but they should be operable under normal force. If they are not, there is something either wrong with the unit or the install.
A new window will be tight at first but over time should operate more smoothly. Its much more common in patio doors.

WindowsDirectCinci

#4 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Are they sliders? My experience is that sliders are generally tighter when new do to the way they sash/weatherstripping fits into the side jamb. If they are double hung units and you have to use much force then I'd say they are over foamed/shimmed our installed out of square. 99% of service issues involving the window operation are because of the installation and not the window itself.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Is your friend a weak arthirtic person? Is it a specific window or windows? Operating a window with a 24" counter top in front of it is always difficult for a vertically challenged person.
They will wear in some as the wool pile weatherstripping sets and gets a memory.
If none of the above applies then look and the vertical reveal of frame to sash to see if the unit is hour glassed. If so the windows will need to be adjusted.
You could ask your friend to post some pictures.

theWindowNerd.