Recommended Installation Method For Wood Window Replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Digital Man

Recommended Installation Method For Wood Window Replacement

#1 Post by Digital Man »

Our old wood windows are way overdue to be replaced so we're close to making a decision on replacing them. I believe they are Oldach wood windows. I told the installers that I want the entire wood frame removed since it's in such bad shape. So I believe this makes it a full frame replacement rather than an insert on top of the old frame.

All of the installers have said this would be a pretty easy install, even though it is considered a full frame replacement. They said they can just cut our old wood windows frames out, collapse them, clean up the rough opening and then install the new windows right into the rough opening. They won't need to remove our siding. They would cut through the nailing fin, but not install a new nailing fin when putting in the new windows since they are not removing our siding/trim.

Does this sounds like a reasonable installation method? I'm spending a lot on these windows so want to make sure this is a good installation method.

I know that it often costs more to do a full frame replacement than insert. Is this method I described above something that would typically cost extra? Any estimate how much it should add?

Here are pictures of the inside and outside of the current windows:

https://goo.gl/photos/KpmWx52yS9k2hXNz8

https://goo.gl/photos/eJ2bQkgUAm8KowBZ8

Thanks.

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Recommended Installation Method For Wood Window Replacement

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Digital Man wrote:Our old wood windows are way overdue to be replaced so we're close to making a decision on replacing them. I believe they are Oldach wood windows. I told the installers that I want the entire wood frame removed since it's in such bad shape. So I believe this makes it a full frame replacement rather than an insert on top of the old frame.

All of the installers have said this would be a pretty easy install, even though it is considered a full frame replacement. They said they can just cut our old wood windows frames out, collapse them, clean up the rough opening and then install the new windows right into the rough opening. They won't need to remove our siding. They would cut through the nailing fin, but not install a new nailing fin when putting in the new windows since they are not removing our siding/trim.

Does this sounds like a reasonable installation method? I'm spending a lot on these windows so want to make sure this is a good installation method.

I know that it often costs more to do a full frame replacement than insert. Is this method I described above something that would typically cost extra? Any estimate how much it should add?

Here are pictures of the inside and outside of the current windows:

https://goo.gl/photos/KpmWx52yS9k2hXNz8

https://goo.gl/photos/eJ2bQkgUAm8KowBZ8

Thanks.
I'd agree that looks like a super easy install. When most people refer to a full frame tearout, generally that involves removing the interior casing, exterior brickmould, possibly siding, and going to the real rough opening. Your looks like they would install it just like a normal vinyl or aluminum tearout ( when replacing these you always "do a full tearout" in the sense that the old frame is removed, but involves significantly less work than the first example. You have no interior casing to replace and the new window would simply measure drywall to drywall or they could go behind the drywall by cutting it out. Either way is pretty easy and not nearly as Labor/material intensive as a true full tearout

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Your installers are correct, absolutely no need to do that. Its an easy install and i wouldnt get overly analytical with it.
No need to replace that flange.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would agree with both the above but add that it still needs to be done with attention to detail.
It is important to maintain an existing drip cap or add one( Z flashing). Also that is why closed cell W&D foam is the best choice too.

theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pretty easy to pull that 1x4 trim on the outside and hang a new nailing flange equip unit if you want to go that route as well.

Digital Man

#6 Post by Digital Man »

Windows on Washington wrote:Pretty easy to pull that 1x4 trim on the outside and hang a new nailing flange equip unit if you want to go that route as well.
Thanks. Can you tell me the advantages of that installation method?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Larger opening, better seal back to the home, more layers of protection.

Drawback...more expensive.

Nothing that is required as a good retrofit installation will never leak either, just something to think about.