Replacing windows- Kansas- any suggestions?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
billb1981

Replacing windows- Kansas- any suggestions?

#1 Post by billb1981 »

I stumbled upon this site and have been reading here for the last 45 minutes, but I've got to get back to work...so I thought I'd post a few questions to see if anyone has any thoughts?

We have about 15 windows to be replaced in our home. Looking at vinyl, double hung. I'm going to get a few more quotes, so far just had two come out:

Local company selling Preservation, I forget the model, but triple pane, Low E, Argon- $8,400.

Window world (I know)- Their 4000 series, which I've learned is Alside's Excalibur- $6400

I'm going to get a few more quotes, but a couple questions....

Double vs. Triple pane...is it worth it or is it a gimmick?
Looks like from reading, Soft-lite, Okna, Simonton and maybe even Sunrise are good? Any thoughts on the preservation?

Thanks for any input.

-Bill

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing windows- Kansas- any suggestions?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both of the windows you have seen are made by the same parent company to start with.

Triple pane is far from a gimmick and if you live in a climate with a cold winter, definitely pays dividends and will make the home more comfortable.

Given the fact that the cost of most of the window is fixed across the board (i.e. basic window, double pane at a minimum, installation, etc.), the upgrade to triple pane makes sense in a bunch of cases as long as it is reasonable and fits into a budgeting calculation.

billb1981

#3 Post by billb1981 »

Great thanks for the tips....

Is it safe to assume that the preservation would rank higher than the WW4000? In reading here though it appears I'm really looking for:

Okna
Sunrise
SoftLite
Simonton

Is it safe to assume I could get any of these for $500 installed? I'm going to have these companies out and don't need their 2 hour sales pitches etc, already feeling more educated from reading here?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

In theory...yes. In practicality, I am fan of neither but for different reasons. I have major issues with the design of the "higher end" unit in that case.

Impossible to say as far as the price goes. Could be right in line with the higher quote you got. You are going to have to just talk to some of those window installers and get numbers to see.

There are general rules they tend to fall within, but every market is so darn different that it really is impossible.

billb1981

#5 Post by billb1981 »

Thanks, this is why I'm asking....don't mind paying $, and you get what you pay for, certainly not going to offend me.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Between a quality product and a quality company, you are going to pay more than the WW quote...that I can say with certainty.

Whether that amount is more than the higher quote, can't say for certain.

Keep us posted on your research and quotes. We will be happy to lend an opinion on stuff as it comes up.

billb1981

#7 Post by billb1981 »

Thanks.....will keep the questions coming, as I appreciate the experience. Right now I've started looking at some of the other companies in the area and finding out what they sell. So far I've found:

Alside
Sunrise
Great Lakes
Soft-lite
Pro-Via
Simonton
Vinylmax

I'm waiting to hear back from Okna, but I'm guessing they aren't around here. Had a friend just go straight to renewal by Anderson, paid $1100 a window...ouch.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

In terms of you list:

No
Yes
No
Yes
No
Maybe
No

uncle eddie

#9 Post by uncle eddie »

billb1981 wrote:Great thanks for the tips....

Is it safe to assume that the preservation would rank higher than the WW4000? In reading here though it appears I'm really looking for:

Okna
Sunrise
SoftLite
Simonton

Is it safe to assume I could get any of these for $500 installed? I'm going to have these companies out and don't need their 2 hour sales pitches etc, already feeling more educated from reading here?
Preservation is a variant of the ww 6000. Is avoid it at all costs. Not only is it poor performing tank of a window with a weep system in the sill framing, but u are paying a premium for it because of the fancier name and brochures.

billb1981

#10 Post by billb1981 »

Great...thanks.......you are saving me from a few estimates and having to go through that wonderful process. At least no one has stood on any windows yet.

billb1981

#11 Post by billb1981 »

quote]
Preservation is a variant of the ww 6000. Is avoid it at all costs. Not only is it poor performing tank of a window with a weep system in the sill framing, but u are paying a premium for it because of the fancier name and brochures.[/quote]

Is the weep system something to be weary of? One of them showed me how the "drain holes" were a good thing.

WindowsDirectCinci

#12 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

billb1981 wrote:quote]
Preservation is a variant of the ww 6000. Is avoid it at all costs. Not only is it poor performing tank of a window with a weep system in the sill framing, but u are paying a premium for it because of the fancier name and brochures.

Is the weep system something to be weary of? One of them showed me how the "drain holes" were a good thing.[/quote]

The weep system is definitely not a good thing. A good sales person will highlight the features of their window good or bad and spin it in a positive light. I would rule out any window that has a pocket still or a weep system. There are to many quality products out there to settle for such a dated design

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

WindowsDirectCinci wrote:
billb1981 wrote:quote]

The weep system is definitely not a good thing. A good sales person will highlight the features of their window good or bad and spin it in a positive light. I would rule out any window that has a pocket still or a weep system. There are to many quality products out there to settle for such a dated design
Exactly. Well said

billb1981

#14 Post by billb1981 »

I'm not sure if I can say this or not on here, so if not just remove it, but has anyone used the window dog site and gotten a quote from window universe I'm a little leery about that as I don't know who the contractor would be etc.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

billb1981 wrote:I'm not sure if I can say this or not on here, so if not just remove it, but has anyone used the window dog site and gotten a quote from window universe I'm a little leery about that as I don't know who the contractor would be etc.
Not sure I follow bill. Window Universe is the contractor if that's who covers your area. I know Dan over there, good guy, runs a good business.