Replacing windows- Kansas- any suggestions?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
billb1981

Re: Replacing windows- Kansas- any suggestions?

#16 Post by billb1981 »

Thanks, I guess I was confused, as thewindowdog is the name of the owner of window universe express. If you are talking about Dan, he is the one who emailed me, so I def will respond back to him with some questions, esp if he runs a good business.

WindowsDirectCinci

#17 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

billb1981 wrote:Thanks, I guess I was confused, as thewindowdog is the name of the owner of window universe express. If you are talking about Dan, he is the one who emailed me, so I def will respond back to him with some questions, esp if he runs a good business.
I could be wrong but it appears to me the "express" version of that business is an installed sales arm of alside, where he quotes over the phone then send out Alside's contractors to install alside windows. I could be wrong here but from what I hear that's what happens. Pretty smart way to expand his sales remotely that's for sure.

billb1981

#18 Post by billb1981 »

Yeah seems to make sense, that's apparently the way he's doing it. Is alside any good? From what I was reading earlier...that is the window world/preservation stuff I'm trying to avoid. He quoted me Revere....

WindowsDirectCinci

#19 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

billb1981 wrote:Yeah seems to make sense, that's apparently the way he's doing it. Is alside any good? From what I was reading earlier...that is the window world/preservation stuff I'm trying to avoid. He quoted me Revere....
It's middle of the road. Certainly better than what you typically find at the box stores. You could probably be happy with those over the next 4-5 years but imo I think there are comparable options out there. A lot of contractors use those products because they are so readily available. Possibly try some window installers that have a local showroom and good reviews online, Angies list etc. They typically will have access to some of the better window options out there

billb1981

#20 Post by billb1981 »

We have a company coming out tonight that sells sunrise. Any particular model you guys recommend on the double hung?

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depending on the size, you want the reinforcement in the window. I like the Restorations the best as it is well appointed, but it is usually the most expensive as well.

billb1981

#22 Post by billb1981 »

I will let you guys know, I appreciate all the help....

billb1981

#23 Post by billb1981 »

Well....got the quote for the Restoration window. 15 windows, 13 double hung, 1 slider in bathroom and one picture window. $10,960.

So we have:

Window World 4000 Series DH Double Pane- $6579
Preservation simliar to WW 6000- $8400
Restoration DP, DH,Omega12, $10960.

I am still waiting on a quote from Soft-Lite, but do you guys have thoughts on this Restoration?

Windows on Washington

#24 Post by Windows on Washington »

It is definitely the cream of that crop and well worth the difference in price (about $175 per unit) in my opinion.

It is clearly the prettier unit as well.

WindowsDirectCinci

#25 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

billb1981 wrote:Well....got the quote for the Restoration window. 15 windows, 13 double hung, 1 slider in bathroom and one picture window. $10,960.

So we have:

Window World 4000 Series DH Double Pane- $6579
Preservation simliar to WW 6000- $8400
Restoration DP, DH,Omega12, $10960.

I am still waiting on a quote from Soft-Lite, but do you guys have thoughts on this Restoration?
The pricing seems reasonable for sure. I'd assume you'd get a better install as well, generally companies that use better products command a higher price not only on the cost differential on the products, but generally they would use better caulk, material and installers/methods. Some companies focus on high volume low cost and others premium quality products and service. There is no doubt those things cost more. I will say the pricing spread between WW and Restorations is usually more than that in my market

billb1981

#26 Post by billb1981 »

Thanks for the responses guys....couple questions:

This Omega 12 stuff.....is it worth it?

They do look like a much better window overall, and they have a team of about 7 installers that work direct for them, not subs, 5 have been there with the company since it opened 14 years ago.

They have foam inside the windows and fiberglass support....I know those can be selling points but are they something that really add to the performance?

We've got standard windows that were installed in 1998 that I think are leaking etc. Would you really notice an increase in your energy savings with these? Obviously I'm not going to save $10,000 a year, but what do you tell homeowners why they should spend an extra $4,000 to go with the much better product?

billb1981

#27 Post by billb1981 »

In addition....I have a quote from Dan at Windowdog for a pretty good price, using Berkshire Elites....any thoughts on where these rank? I know they aren't in the top but are they decent?

HomeSealed

#28 Post by HomeSealed »

I think that option can provide good value Bill. It really depends on your ultimate goal for the project as far as the price/quality spectrum.

Windows on Washington

#29 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

By all accounts, they run a good operation and the founder of that company has a bunch of experience and background in the industry.

billb1981

#30 Post by billb1981 »

One of the things I noticed when I was reading...is warranties....It looks like with the Revere if you have broken glass, they will send you the glass but you have to pay to have it installed....many of the others are covered?