Installation warranty

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Weatherman

Installation warranty

#1 Post by Weatherman »

Hello

If a company that installs highly regarded windows and has great reviews but only offers 1 - 3 years on installation warranty, are they worth considering?

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Installation warranty

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Weatherman wrote:Hello

If a company that installs highly regarded windows and has great reviews but only offers 1 - 3 years on installation warranty, are they worth considering?
I would say so, almost any installation issues would arise during the first one or two years. They should still come out and address any issues but may charge a service call. What they are doing is protecting themselves from the expense to come out and change locks changed broken glass screens etc. for free, The parts themselves should still be covered under warranty but once again you may have to pay them a small service charge to come out and fix things for you. If you ask me this should be the norm but for some reason the window business someone decided they should warranty labor for the lifetime of the windows and many people followed suit.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

I agree, even though we give a life time warranty, most install issues happen rather quickly.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Defects of any workmanship or a failure of an installed consumable usually show up in the first 1-2 years to be honest.

Those are the most critical in that timetable and if a window is done properly, the reality is that it should be fine for a "lifetime".

Thomas Falater

#5 Post by Thomas Falater »

I agree, issues would show up within 2 years depending on the change of season and area that you live in. The company knows this and doesn't want to come out years and years down the road for something that was not their fault. Sounds legit. I live in Michigan and know that any problems would definitely show up within one year. Thomas Falater

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Do most install issues show up in the first couple years? Yes. Do some show up after? Yes as well. I don't completely disagree with the other posters here, I would not exclude a contractor based on only offering a 1-3 year workmanship warranty. That said, it really can't be argued that longer would be better, even if it is simply for peace of mind. If we screw up on workmanship we are going to stand behind it whether it is within the first year or 10 years down the road (and yes, I have gotten calls for 10 year old work). If someone would tell you to pound sand after 18 months because your workmanship warranty was only a year, that might not be the type of company that you want to do business with.

Weinman

#7 Post by Weinman »

Thomas Falateer wrote:I agree, issues would show up within 2 years depending on the change of season and area that you live in. The company knows this and doesn't want to come out years and years down the road for something that was not their fault. Sounds the bathmate is legit and I live in Michigan and know that any problems would definitely show up within one year. Thomas Falater
I'd say you need a 1 year warranty at a minimum.
Last edited by Weinman on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

One year is the minimum.
2 years is probably the sweet spot.
I have had a conversation with a 3rd generation contractor that closed up shop and opened up a different company because of the liability of the life time warranties written by his dad.

theWindowNerd.