Okna Windows Reviews - Prices, Dealer Locator

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TheWindowNerd

Re: Okna windows

#31 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with WOW.

Weatherman

#32 Post by Weatherman »

It is a tempting deal but I am still concerned that if a problem arose and he was out of the picture I don't think I could get taken care of. The Okna company guy said others were too far to travel to me and that was for sales and installation. I doubt they would want to travel that far for service on windows someone else sold and installed unless NewPro would and I am not sure of the quality of their work. If they did travel that far I would imagine the service charge would be really high. My email that was forwarded to him expressed that concern and he never assured me that they would take care of me.

Is aluminum capping the preferred way?

TheWindowNerd

#33 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you have existing wood frames capping is the way to make the exterior maintenance free.
It is the most common way to do. Exceptions, not exhaustive, would be: already extruded aluminum frames, historical exteriors that for color and detail do not want capping, for those that like to climb ladders and paint.

theWindowNerd.

Weatherman

#34 Post by Weatherman »

I guess I asked the wrong question. What I meant is all capping done with aluminum or is there another material?

toddinmn

#35 Post by toddinmn »

Aluminum.

HomeSealed

#36 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Can exterior trim be done in other materials such as wood, pvc, and composites? Yes, but those would be replacements of the exterior trim boards, not capping or wrapping.

As far as being nervous about the dealer, what's the history of this business? If they have been around for a while and have good reviews, you shouldn't have to worry too much. Most companies that made it through the lean times a few years back are in good shape for the long haul. It's the startup's they could be cause for concern, anyone can run a business successfully for a few years while things are booming... As far as Okna dealers though, again, I wouldn't worry. Okna's footprint grows by the day, and any high performance product will always be in demand. As I alluded to earlier, if one dealer drops off in any given market, I'd fully expect another company to swoop in and pick them up in short order.

Weatherman

#37 Post by Weatherman »

One of the reviews on Angies List says they are operating under a different name now. I don't find anything else about that. I know he has over 30 years experience in home improvement. BBB says the business was started in 5/1/1984. I could ask him directly. Only other thing I would have to address with him is insulating around the windows. I would prefer they foam around all sides instead of using the wrap around foam that comes with the window and foaming only the bottom. Someone on here mentioned that if using an extender on top it can be tricky using the foam. If they do not normally foam around all sides is it something they should be able to do or would I be better off seeking out someone who does it that way all the time?

TheWindowNerd

#38 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Though low expansion window and door foam is preffered it is not the only way to do good work sealing the windows. Also there are some places and installs where you might not be able to foam.
The rel point is ask him how he makes sure there is no water or air infiltration or exfiltration.

thewindownerd