Window replacement Slocomb Harmony 143?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bmhalula

Window replacement Slocomb Harmony 143?

#1 Post by bmhalula »

Hi,

We had several contractors come out to give us quotes in Raleigh, NC for 9 double hung replacement windows. The cheapest was Slocomb Harmony 143 by a long shot >$3000. this was over the Sunrise Solace 366 and the even more expensive >$10k for the Okna 500 series. This just caught me off guard as none of the quotes being close at all. Is there something to be worried about with the Harmony 143? other than the internal sash support, i didn't notice much of a difference between them. i think the u-value was .27 with a SHGC of .19. I believe they also came with a lifetime warranty. Is it worth the extra $3k to go with the Sunrise over Slocomb? I also did not like the tint that the Sunrise had to it because of the 12 layers of coating.

Thanks for the input,
Brian

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Window replacement Slocomb Harmony 143?

#2 Post by masterext »

The slocomb 143 is their low end model. The slocomb is probably just as dark as the sunrise, if not darker. Slocomb use solarban 70 which is bery dark. You can also tell bybthe low shgc of .19.
In this case, the sunrise is a better value and this is a classic case where one window is good and the other is entry level.

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Window replacement Slocomb Harmony 143?

#3 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I've sold and installed both windows. Imo slocomb is one of the better value brands and sunrise is one of the better premium. So there is no surprise in the price difference. As mentioned above the slocomb comes standard with sb70 and is the only option. The glass is just as dark as the sunrise omega 12. If the reinforcement worry you on the slocomb it can be requested to add in and actually comes standard on certain widths. As far as your concern on the sunrise, the manufacturer has numerous glass options so that may be able to be changed to something different unless your particular dealer only sells it one way. Know that the glass typically looks darker in the sample sitting on your living room floor than it typically does in your wall. The sunrise is better in just about every way and would be the choice in my home.