New window recommendations for Massachusetts

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cmg81

New window recommendations for Massachusetts

#1 Post by cmg81 »

I'm looking for a good recommendation for new construction windows. I know this forum focuses on replacement windows, but I've found this forum very informative and haven't found much guidance for new construction windows. We're building a home in Berkley MA. The contractor is recommending Anderson or United windows which are sold at local building supply houses (and more easily accessible regarding warranty issues). I believe he mentioned Simonton as well. After doing research, I like what I keep hearing about OKNA and Sunrise, especially after reading the review written by copykatpro, but I can't seem to be able to find a local dealer. I'm hoping I can get some guidance on where I can get these windows for new construction, or if there are other good manufacturers in my region, or if there is another resource online for researching this information. Thanks

Weatherman

Re: New window recommendations for Massachusetts

#2 Post by Weatherman »

There is a guy that sells and installs Okna in Mansfield Massachusetts. According to what Okna told me directly any other dealers are in the western part of the state. Really nice guy.

cmg81

#3 Post by cmg81 »

Thanks, I'll check them out, see what he has to say.

cmg81

#4 Post by cmg81 »

I'll have to try again for him tomorrow, didn't get a hold of anyone.

I found Lux Renovations carries Sunrise. They wouldn't give me a whole lot of information since the house isn't built yet, but they already told me their windows are $1000 and up. Seems high. In the meantime while I wait to hear from the other guy about OKNA, I looked at a couple building materials houses my contractor uses. Below are some of brands they carry. If anyone has feedback, it would be appreciated.

United, Anderson, Simonton, Ellison, Wincore, Norandex, Jeld-Wen, and Sierra Pacific

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Would not care for any of those.
There are other good windows out there, for your project I would suggest the Okna 5500DX.
Getting them to you should be no problem.
How many windows? What color? what options? Any patio doors?
Harvey bought Soft-Lite, if they had the Imp LS with an intregal nailing fin I would consider that too.

theWindowNerd.

Weatherman

#6 Post by Weatherman »

Just curious were you able to get a hold of the Okna guy?

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

[quote="Weatherman"]Just curious were you able to get a hold of the Okna guy

If buying casements most brands use the same window for all lines with different options, so it is always not needed to buy the upper end window, double Hungs are usually not this way through the whole line up

cmg81

#8 Post by cmg81 »

Hey, sorry I forgot to get to the forum, had to have surgery, just spaced it out since. Anyways, I did end up getting a hold the guy in Mansfield MA (Your Home Exterior Solutions). He does sell Okna windows but can't really give me any estimates until I get the architectural drawings for measurements. He's supposed to mail me some brochures on them.

From what I've read so far, the 5500 replacement window line appears to be the best bang for the buck. If the 5500DX is the new construction model, hopefully the same holds true.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Insul-Tec 500 = Replacement series

Insul-Tec 5500 = New Construction series

cmg81

#10 Post by cmg81 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Insul-Tec 500 = Replacement series

Insul-Tec 5500 = New Construction series
Thanks!