Replacing Windows - Honest Opinions about Cost / Quality

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
guyatwork37

Replacing Windows - Honest Opinions about Cost / Quality

#1 Post by guyatwork37 »

Hi folks! This is my first post here after reading a lot of threads and other websites trying to arm myself with information about replacement windows. I've read lots of pros / cons on lots of types of windows and I'm looking for honest opinions about the windows I've seen as it relates to the window quality versus the prices I've been quoted.

As a background, I'm based in the Denver area and have original Milgard vinyl windows from 1998 in my home. I have 14 openings with 8 single hungs (two are next to each other in the living room to I only count it as one opening), 5 single sliders, 1 triple slider, and 1 picture window. I've spoke to 5 different companies offering different products and I'm trying to see what makes the most sense.

The windows I have see are below with quotes from the installers. These are all installed prices and they all include haul away, taxes, permits, etc.

Marvin Infinity - $18,700
Amerimax Master's Grande - $10,300
Sunrise Vangaurd - $12,100
Alside Integrity (8000 series equivalent) - $10,800
Renewal by Anderson - $26,820
Alpen 525 / 625 - $14,300 / $15,600
Soft-Lite Imperial LS - $12,100
Milgard Ultra - TBD

My initial thoughts:

1) Nope to the Anderson by Renewal.
2) The Alpen windows looked very bulk and aesthetically unappealing,but when I saw them on a hope they looked solid enough.
3) The Alside Integrity window has a strange beveling and sticks out a little, but not as bad as I thought when I saw it installed. However, Alside seems to be panned by everyone.
4) The Marvin Infinity is a nice looking window, but it's on the pricey end, and the specs are only ok. Not sure if it's worth 50% more than a nice vinyl.
5) The Sunrise window was a nice looking window as well with some good specs.
6) The Soft Lite window isn't necessarily the prettiest but it's not bad, but it seems like a super well constructed window.
7) The Amerimax window seems relatively well regarded, but a lot of feedback shows issues when dealing with warranty issues and it seems to not perform well in the cold which is an issue for me.

I thought the range of prices would be closer to $750 to $1,000 a hole installed and the prices are typically higher than this and I'm not sure if I need to negotiate (can I?) or if my initial thoughts were off (although they were based a lot on this site's comments).

Any thoughts on quality and price and quality to price ratio are welcomed. I'm just looking to make sure I don't make a stupid choice based on cost or misinformation. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!
Last edited by guyatwork37 on Fri May 26, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing Windows - Honest Opinions about Cost / Quality

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would say your feedback is pretty dead on so far.

I haven't seen the Alpen up close but the rest of your assessment seems spot on.

Obviously you get a good bit of wind in Colorado so I would take special note of the Air Infiltration ratings in this case. That being said, I don't think the Marvin numbers on that series window are good at all.

She is a pretty little unit, but more looks and not much substance.

guyatwork37

#3 Post by guyatwork37 »

Regarding the Marvin window, that seems to be the general consensus and where we live in particular is pretty windy. That may just be the disqualifier for that window.

Any thoughts on the pricing? Are those reasonable rates for those windows or am I getting hosed?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tough to say without specifics on install and options, but seems in the normal range and maybe on the high side of that range.

guyatwork37

#5 Post by guyatwork37 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Tough to say without specifics on install and options, but seems in the normal range and maybe on the high side of that range.
Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated. Any recommended negotiation tactics?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

guyatwork37 wrote:Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated. Any recommended negotiation tactics?
Not sure what to tell you here. Take a look at work examples and go with the company that you most trust.

Any chance you will have some referral work for the contractor you select? That's always a great bump for the contractor.

guyatwork37

#7 Post by guyatwork37 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
guyatwork37 wrote:Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated. Any recommended negotiation tactics?
Not sure what to tell you here. Take a look at work examples and go with the company that you most trust.

Any chance you will have some referral work for the contractor you select? That's always a great bump for the contractor.
While I can't guarantee it, I am pretty friendly with everyone in the neighborhood and a couple of neighbors are getting solar panels due to my feedback, maybe I can leverage that. Thanks again!

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like a plan. I am sure they would welcome to the referrals.

guyatwork37

#9 Post by guyatwork37 »

Got a quote from the Soft Lite rep for the Imperial LS and it came it at $12,100. It seems like a damn finely built window. I had the milgard person come by today and talk about the Ultra fiberglass windows so we'll see how the quote turns out. Unfortunately he didn't have a sample, but his office is right by my wife's work so I may go down there one day at lunch to check it out.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Solid choice so far. Well built and engineered unit there.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

So far the Sunrise and Soft-lite are the best choices for no drafts.

Offer to pay all or partially in real cash.

theWindowNred.

guyatwork37

#12 Post by guyatwork37 »

TheWindowNerd wrote:So far the Sunrise and Soft-lite are the best choices for no drafts.

Offer to pay all or partially in real cash.

theWindowNred.
I'll be doing all cash at the price points offered. I'll see if they can come down a little more as a result.

As for the sunrise versus soft lite topic, is there one that is generally considered better or has a better warranty or is it basically a wash? Both installers come highly regarded, have been in business for awhile, are family run, and seem to have good installation warranties and ratings. Any real world differentiators I should know about would be helpful :). Thanks!

WindowsDirectCinci

#13 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Softlite would be a slight better performer. Not likely to notice a real life difference. Some people would prefer the slimmer frames on Sunrise but if that is of no concern than the Softlite would be better performer and in your case cheaper.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#14 Post by masterext »

Sunrise is kind of an interesting product in certain regards. It does have a very slim frame but there is no interlock at the meeting rails. That said, the window is pretty air tight and the higher end offerings, i.e. the vanguard and restorations have high structural ratings.
Soft lite is a bit bulky but not overly and does have kind of a nice interior design on the inner part of the sash similar to sunrise. Both are very good windows and i would have no problem offering either window.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

masterext wrote:Sunrise is kind of an interesting product in certain regards. It does have a very slim frame but there is no interlock at the meeting rails. That said, the window is pretty air tight and the higher end offerings, i.e. the vanguard and restorations have high structural ratings.
Soft lite is a bit bulky but not overly and does have kind of a nice interior design on the inner part of the sash similar to sunrise. Both are very good windows and i would have no problem offering either window.

The Soft-Lite is the clear winner in double hung and slider cinfiguration.