Replacing Windows - Honest Opinions about Cost / Quality

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
guyatwork37

Re: Replacing Windows - Honest Opinions about Cost / Quality

#16 Post by guyatwork37 »

So we drove past a home with the Soft Lites installed and my wife did not care for the look. The outside frame bevels out pretty significantly and as a result, the window seems to stick out from the frame a lot, very similar to the Alside Integrity windows. It kind of makes the home look like its eyes are bugging out. While I'm not the biggest fan, I could live with it.

Now we're waiting for the Sunrise rep to send us some addresses to check out. Right now, assuming those don't have the same look, we're probably leaning towards those.
Last edited by guyatwork37 on Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delaware Mike

#17 Post by Delaware Mike »

99.99% of all vinyl double-hung windows all look virtually the same from 10' away in appearance. All of that intricate nicer frame/screen-track profile design gets lost in "white wash out" from the curb. The look will vary from flanged new construction with siding verses pocket retrofit type installations with exterior trim board/casing capping.

What makes or breaks an entire vinyl window retrofit project in my opinion in regards to the exterior appearance is the skill set of the installers and their metal bending/caulking ability.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to Delaware Mike's feedback.

Some of them windows (Sunrise is one) will have a bit of a coved exterior to soften or at least step, that exterior project.

guyatwork37

#19 Post by guyatwork37 »

So spoke to the Sunrise rep and he said he could do the windows for around $12,100 which would put them on par with the Soft Lite.

Any reason to split hairs on this one? I think we like the installer's approach on the Sunrise windows slightly more than the soft lite rep's, but that would be the only real difference as the price and performance seem almost identical, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks again folks for your feedback!

Windows on Washington

#20 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Sunrise is the better looking window and the Soft-Lite is the slightly better performing unit.

Its a trade-off in either direction and depends on what you like. If you have a good installer in the Sunrise product, you can't go wrong in the least.

toddinmn

#21 Post by toddinmn »

Windows on Washington wrote:The Sunrise is the better looking window and the Soft-Lite is the slightly better performing unit.

Its a trade-off in either direction and depends on what you like. If you have a good installer in the Sunrise product, you can't go wrong in the least.
Some of the reason for the screen extrusion sticking out more with some brands is they 1 3/4" sashes vs some which are only 1 1/4". This typically makers a stronger sash.
I'd Still go Soft-Lite hands down.I agree 100% with Mike, the aluminum work can really make the difference . It is often one of the most overlooked things, as it is critical for water management as well as appearance.

guyatwork37

#22 Post by guyatwork37 »

So after viewing some homes with the Sunrise Vanguards installed we decided to go with those windows and that installer as their work just looked better than the other homes (other than the Marvin Infinity folks). Thanks everyone for your input, it was much appreciated!

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

Be sure to post up some before and after pictures.