Home Craftsman 8100 (Ply Gem) Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
curetsky

Home Craftsman 8100 (Ply Gem) Windows

#1 Post by curetsky »

Does anyone have experience with/opinions on Home Craftsman 8100 series windows (it appears these are made by Ply Gem). Vendor is telling me they're high quality, high energy efficiency and wind rated (not impact, but I'm not at the coast). I'm replacing 33 windows (if including arches and eye lids) that were single pane, aluminum frame. Getting quoted about $12,600 (before taxes) for double pane/double glaze, LowE, argon filled, single hung, vinyl frame PWG windows (from what I can tell, more specfically, PWG-M-22, though I can't find info on the rest of the SKU).

Thanks!

toddinmn

Re: Home Craftsman 8100 (Ply Gem) Windows

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Not familiar with product,but Ply-Gem is not know for there high quality products.
Do you know what the performance numbers are such as U-value, DP rating, air infiltration?

curetsky

#3 Post by curetsky »

One label I saw had U-factor of .30, SHGC .20, visible transmittance of .45 and air leakage <= 0.3. These seem like decent ratings (though transmittance is a bit low), but I'm concerned about the quality of manufacture.

Thank you!

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

It’s not a high quality window, and not even a mid-grade in my book. There are much better options out there with thicker vinyl walls that aren’t so flimsy. Is that pricing for the window alone, or does that include installation?

curetsky

#5 Post by curetsky »

Randy wrote:It’s not a high quality window, and not even a mid-grade in my book. There are much better options out there with thicker vinyl walls that aren’t so flimsy. Is that pricing for the window alone, or does that include installation?
Price includes installation.

curetsky

#6 Post by curetsky »

Randy wrote:It’s not a high quality window, and not even a mid-grade in my book. There are much better options out there with thicker vinyl walls that aren’t so flimsy. Is that pricing for the window alone, or does that include installation?
How about Wincore 5400?

Thank you!

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

Wincore 5400 would be a somewhat better choice.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

The Wincore is a decent window. It is an unapologetic copy of the Simonton and is therefore subject to some of the same weak points (bulky extrusion, aesthetics, medium air infiltration numbers, etc.) of it parent window.

curetsky

#9 Post by curetsky »

Randy wrote:Wincore 5400 would be a somewhat better choice.
Any better recommendation for the Houston area that won't break the bank?

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

In Houston...only one guy I can recommend in randy.

He has answered some of your questions and you can click on his name to get a quote. I don't know that he has a supremely budget orientated product, but there isn't a better pro in the state of Texas.

Randy

#11 Post by Randy »

It’s going to be hard to find a good quality product, installed professionally, at the pricing you’ve been quoted. You’re going to need a higher budget in order to get a better product.

curetsky

#12 Post by curetsky »

Randy wrote:It’s going to be hard to find a good quality product, installed professionally, at the pricing you’ve been quoted. You’re going to need a higher budget in order to get a better product.
I was quoted about $16,000-$18,000 for the wincore installed. 33 windows, two are arches (can be combined into the rectangular window directly underneath), two picture windows, a small kitchen bay window, three eye lids, and the rest are simple vertical sliders. Does that seem reasonable? Any chance you could guesstimate what such an install with a mid-grade (not looking for top of the line - just can't afford it but want to get rid of my old, original single pane aluminum frame windows) world reasonably cost?

Thank you for your guidance Randy. You have been incredibly helpful.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 18K number is approaching a more normal range, but still below what you would expect to spend on a more quality product like Okna or Sunrise.

Wincore is definitely a distribution center product and fits a bit of that model (i.e. commodity).

Randy

#14 Post by Randy »

WoW is right on his numbers. $18,000.00 is getting into the range of reasonable for a decent quality window. Below that you’re probably getting a subpar window coupled with caulk and walk installation. You don’t have to pay an arm and a leg, but if the pricing is too low, you’ll likely be disappointed in the years to come.

Some better choices in Houston would be NT’s Energy Master or Presidential. You might be able to squeeze into Okna’s 505 series if the options (tan frames, grids, etc....) aren’t too extensive.

curetsky

#15 Post by curetsky »

Randy wrote:WoW is right on his numbers. $18,000.00 is getting into the range of reasonable for a decent quality window. Below that you’re probably getting a subpar window coupled with caulk and walk installation. You don’t have to pay an arm and a leg, but if the pricing is too low, you’ll likely be disappointed in the years to come.

Some better choices in Houston would be NT’s Energy Master or Presidential. You might be able to squeeze into Okna’s 505 series if the options (tan frames, grids, etc....) aren’t too extensive.
No major options really. White frames, grids on the front windows, gridless everywhere else (7 windows up front - 4 single-hung, three eyelids), single-hung is fine everywhere, though double-hung would certainly make cleaning upstairs windows easier.

Thank you again for your guidance Randy.