Need help deciding - Windows/Patio Door in Dallas

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
WindowNewbie

Need help deciding - Windows/Patio Door in Dallas

#1 Post by WindowNewbie »

Paging Randy and thanks in advance for everyone else who chips in.

Hi all, I'm looking for advice narrowing down my choices for replacement windows. I'm in the DFW area, looking to replace 15 windows and a patio door of the entire house.

I’ve gotten a couple of quotes but having real trouble deciding which is a better value/fit.
I'm looking for No grids. Single hung for the most part.

Here’s what I have so far:
1) Burris Tectview AC single hung – 10K
2) Alside Mezzo single hung – 13K
3) Revere Berkshire Elite Double hung - 10.5K
4) Legacy Sunrise single hung with a $2K NT patio door – 10K (can upgrade window to NT for $100-150 each)
5) Sunrise Vanguard single hung with a $3K Provia patio door – 13.5K
6) Simonton 5500 or 5050 double hung - 12K

Some of my thoughts:

1) Seems like Burris does not get much love on this forum, so hesitant to go with this one, but the contractor who pitched them to me said they think it’s better than NT windows in quality/performance and service.
2) How does the Mezzo brand compare to Vanguard and Simonton?
3) Have not read much about the Berkshire Elite and have not ever heard of the Legacy Sunrise, can anyone chip in on these two? Are they worth considering?
4) Thought Vanguard comes in double hung only, but the contractor quoted me single hung, is double hung better? Do I need any double hungs in my situation?
5) Is the Provia patio door any good? How does it compare to the other brands?
6) Between Vanguard and Simonton 5500, 5050, which one is my best bet?

Apologize for a rather lengthy thread, I just moved to the area, did not realize the windows are so bad until moved into the house, other parts of the house need repairing too, so budget is tight.

Thanks again for any guidance.
Last edited by WindowNewbie on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Randy

Re: Need help deciding - Windows/Patio Door in Dallas

#2 Post by Randy »

Most bow windows in Texas are built in with the brick exterior following the curve of the window unit. If this is the case on your window, I’d stick with the original configuration. I’ve changed them to three panels on the back of the house, but on the front, I don’t think you’d be happy with the way they look afterwards as you typically end up having to add trim on the exterior to cover the gap behind the brick.

As to the quotes you have.

1) I like the owner of Burris windows personally, and I know that contractors like working with them because they are local (in DFW) and easier to work with than NT. That said, the window is not better (or even equal to) NT in my opinion.

2) Anything Alside wouldn’t be in consideration for me. Don’t like the products and don’t like the manufacturer.

3) See #2. Rebranded Alside is still Alside.

4) I honestly don’t know anything about Legacy, but I will research it. Seems like very good pricing at first glance.

5) Great window from a quality manufacturer. Definitely worth more than anything from the other manufacturers listed as it’s superior in almost every way.

6) Decent, if long in the tooth, vinyl window. However, it’s way over priced when compared to the Sunrise.

As far as I know, Vanguard is only double hung. Sunrise does make a single hung, but I think it’s universal across the lines. it isn’t reinforced and not overly impressive to me. I’d stick with the double hung Vanguard to get the standard reinforcement.

I’ve never sold/installed Provia, but the other pros here hold the products in high regard overall.

WindowNewbie

#3 Post by WindowNewbie »

Thank you so much for your response Randy!

Just to confirm my understanding, I suppose you recommend the Sunrise Vanguard over the Simonton? The sunrise is kind of at the top of my budget here so to make them all double hung would be an even bigger bite, would asking for sash reinforcement help?

So far, I'm crossing out Burris, Alside, Revere, and maybe Simonton. The lack of track record for Legacy had me worried as I could not find any reviews on the Legacy Sunrise windows other than a plain looking website, seems like it's also manufactured in Dallas but very limited info on the web otherwise.

Do you think I should go get another quote with all NT windows?

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

I do recommend Sunrise Vanguard over Simonton, as it’s a better window in every regard. Having said that, the 5500 is a decent mid-grade choice if it fits the budget best. If you’re ok with the chunky frame, and you feel confident in the contractor, it’s not a bad choice; it’s just not a top tier window. NT’s Energy Master or Presidential would be a better choice IMO.

Adding sash reinforcement isn’t an option on the Sunrise single hung unfortunately.

Yes, I’d try to get another quote on NT if you’re really wanting single hungs.

WindowNewbie

#5 Post by WindowNewbie »

I received another quote from a contractor who sells their own brand of windows but claim these are custom made by NT and are comparable to the NT. It was $13K including a $4K patio door which to me seems high compare to the other quotes I've gotten. I've not seen either windows so can't tell.

If I can get the NT single hung and the Sunrise Vanguard single hung at the same price point, is Vanguard a better bet? Can I ask for sash reinforcement on the NT single hung?

I will check with the Vanguard rep how much more it would be to make them all double hung.
Last edited by WindowNewbie on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

NT’s single hung is already reinforced. The Sunrise Vanguard is the better window and better priced, surprisingly. I’m not a fan of Sunrise’s single hung to be honest.

WindowNewbie

#7 Post by WindowNewbie »

Thanks again Randy.

The vendor rebranded window I mentioned in my last post, the rep came back with this explanation:" it's basically an economy version of NT's presidential it only comes in white or tan we cannot add two-tone features or insulated frames and things of that nature so the presidential is Built so that we can add custom options as far as the in NFRC numbers they are equal".

So I guess I'm getting the same thing as NT Presidential? Or does the Presidential come with Insulated frame?

The Vanguard rep also came back to say "Vanguard does make a single hung, it's custom for our region". To make them all double hung would be an extra 2-3K. Since I have a one story house, he didn't think the double hung is necessary. But why is Vanguard's single hung not as good?

I also had another contractor who gave me an estimate for the NT Executive within my budget, is Executive not as good of a window as the Presidential? Perhaps I need to negotiate harder on the Presidential? Here's where I'm at right now. Need help eliminating a couple of choices.

1) NT Executive Single Hung - 10K
2) NT Presidential Rebranded Single Hung - 13K
3) Vanguard Single Hung 13.5K
4) Vanguard Double Hung for 16K

Thanks again!
Randy wrote:NT’s single hung is already reinforced. The Sunrise Vanguard is the better window and better priced, surprisingly. I’m not a fan of Sunrise’s single hung to be honest.
Last edited by WindowNewbie on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

NT’s Presidential doesn’t automatically have foam, it’s an upgrade.

I’m not aware of a Vanguard single hung for this region. I don’t like the profile, as it’s completely different than the double hung.

The NT Executive isn’t a bad window. Not as stout as the Presidential, but that’s an aggressive price on it.

WindowNewbie

#9 Post by WindowNewbie »

Thanks for the info Randy, now this could be my last question before I make up my mind.

So to upgrade to the Presidential, I'm looking at about 1K, is it worth the 1K to upgrade?

Thanks again!

Randy wrote:NT’s Presidential doesn’t automatically have foam, it’s an upgrade.

I’m not aware of a Vanguard single hung for this region. I don’t like the profile, as it’s completely different than the double hung.

The NT Executive isn’t a bad window. Not as stout as the Presidential, but that’s an aggressive price on it.
Last edited by WindowNewbie on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

Keep the $1000.00 and go with the Executive. Best wishes on the project.

jenny5555

#11 Post by jenny5555 »

Randy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:56 pm Most bow windows in Texas are built in with the brick exterior following the curve of the window unit. If this is the case on your window, I’d stick with the original configuration. I’ve changed them to three panels on the back of the house, but on the front, I don’t think you’d be happy with the way they look afterwards as you typically end up having to add trim on the exterior to cover the gap behind the brick.

As to the quotes you have.

1) I like the owner of Burris windows personally, and I know that contractors like working with them because they are local (in DFW) and easier to work with than NT. That said, the window is not better (or even equal to) NT in my opinion.

2) Anything Alside wouldn’t be in consideration for me. Don’t like the products and don’t like the manufacturer.

3) See #2. Rebranded Alside is still Alside.

4) I honestly don’t know anything about Legacy, but I will research it. Seems like very good pricing at first glance.

5) Great window from a quality manufacturer. Definitely worth more than anything from the other manufacturers listed as it’s superior in almost every way.

6) Decent, if long in the tooth, vinyl window. However, it’s way over priced when compared to the Sunrise.

As far as I know, Vanguard is only double hung. Sunrise does make a single hung, but I think it’s universal across the lines. it isn’t reinforced and not overly impressive to me. I’d stick with the double hung Vanguard to get the standard reinforcement.

I’ve never sold/installed Provia, but the other pros here hold the products in high regard overall.
I got mine from conserv construction of dallas who i believe uses provia doors. I had heard they are rated very good for energy efficiency. Does anybody else know more about this. I've seen some good reviews for provia too.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Provia doors are well built and well regarded by most pros.