Larger sah opening so I can Install a window airconditioner.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
man77usa

Larger sah opening so I can Install a window airconditioner.

#1 Post by man77usa »

Is there a way to make the Sash opening on my Simonton replace window larger so I can put a window Air conditioner in? The ac height is 18 in my window sash height is 17.5 inches.

Delaware Mike

Re: Larger sah opening so I can Install a window airconditioner.

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

What we do sometimes with vinyl double-hung replacement windows that will house a nice window AC unit is to have a 3rd AC sash made up based upon the hight dimensions of the AC units flange as it sits on the face frame dam. It eliminates the look of the bottom sash in sort of an raised position creating ugly sight lines.

You would measure the current top sash height and how short it't bottom would be to the top of your AC unit and then deduct a bit to be able to wiggle things in and out for season removal and reinstallation. We also keep extra jamb sash stops uncut to for field cuts to length for security. Bracing the sill area to close to that of the sill dam is a good idea too.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you saying that the window only goes up 17.5" or that the opening size (with the lower sash out) is 17.5"?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If it is a DH and you just need that extra lttle bit take out the lower sash and store it while you have the AC in.

theWindowNerd.