Window vs. window trim replacement?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
george44

Window vs. window trim replacement?

#1 Post by george44 »

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and need some advice.

I'm in a suburb of Denver, have a 28 year old house that's in need of a paint job. We've struggled since the day we purchased the home (new) to keep paint on the trim around our windows, particularly the horizontal trim. The sun out here literally bakes it off - house gets direct southern exposure on the back side. The trim is a brickmold pine - horizontal elements won't hold paint despite the best primers and anti-peeling agents I've tried. We've also got some cedar that has rotted.

One painter I had out to our place suggested replacing the windows as a way of dealing with the trim issues. The existing windows themselves have held up ok - they'e full wood builder grade double pane windows, a combination of sliders and double hung. Not top line by any means and not totally airtight, but the sashes hold paint and haven't rotted out.

My question is this - if I replace our windows will I address my on-going peeling issues? Is it possible to just replace the trim? From what I can tell, the brickmold for these windows is part of the window system - I've not been able to find this trim anywhere in Denver. Do most windows systems have their own unique trim or is this something a window contractor could come in and replace? This would be a lot cheaper than 27 new windows. Also, any suggestions for a good, honest window contractor in this area would be helpful.

Thanks.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Window vs. window trim replacement?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The yellow flag I see is that paint wont stay on, why? It is staying on the sash.
Okay next items:
You could replace the exterior casing, this will also be expensive. If your outside trim is white then you could try white PVC trim. If not white and you are going to have to paint it look for Boral.
Option 2 is to cap the exterior trim with trim coil, look for Mastic/Alcoa.
Option 3 is to replace the windows. the most expensive option but could take care of performance poor windows.
All the above have two major components, the product and the application. Both have to be done with excellence to arrive at a one time solution.

theWindowNerd.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

You don't typically hear the words "28 years old builder's grade" and "okay" in the same sentence.

I would look critically at the windows before I spend any money on the adjacent trim. Anything you do there will most likely get scrapped if you replace the windows in this case.

george44

#4 Post by george44 »

Window Nerd and Windows on Washington, thanks for your feed back. I really appreciate it.

I've started looking at replacement options for these windows. Because I've got wood on the inside I'm looking at fiberglass/wood alternatives to a wood metal clad replacement. If I had a $5MM house I might be able to justify the extra cost of a wood aluminium clad window (think Marvin's top shelf product) but not on our house. I'm talking to a number of dealers that carry Marvin and Milgard fiberglass windows with the wood interior. Do you have any opinions on the Integrity and Essence lines? I'm thinking these products should be comparable in cost, but one dealer that carries both told me the Milgard would cost 25% more, which doesn't make much sense to me. Perhaps the bigger concern is the quality/reputation of the installer. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for, asking about on that?

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate.

Regards,

Paul

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We are Marvin Authorized Replacement Contractors, I am familar with Integrity and like the product. It is a great company committed to quality, is family owned and operated.
You can look for someone who is a master installer, 10 years minimum, has various training certs, CPC PCC , MARC, Installation Masters, etc.
Listen to your BS meter when interviewing.
Look at and contact their last 3 completed projects.

theWindowNerd.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't have any history with the Milgard product as they pulled out of our region a number of years ago. We did some of the earlier Milgard fiberglass windows and had a bunch of issues with it.

That is not a commentary on the new product, just a reflection of what our experience was with the older unit.

Marvin, and TheWindowNerd said, is a known commodity in most folks minds.