New Construction Windows for Home in South Carolina

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Vallee

New Construction Windows for Home in South Carolina

#1 Post by Vallee »

We are building a new custom home and I am wondering if Sunrise new construction windows will be a good decision -- or some other type of winow. We had them as replacement windows at our previous home and I really liked them. Part of what made them look nice is that they were put into existing wood window sills that had a lot of depth on the inside and out.

My question/concern about the Sunrise new construction window is if they will look good in terms of having the same depth of the window sill as say a Marvin or Jeld-Wen. I see some homes where the vinyl windows look like they have been taped on to the house -- there's no depth to the window sill. This will be a lowcountry-style home with Hardie siding and Hardie trim.

I know the quality of Sunrise is great -- my concern is aesthetics for new construction windows. Given the heat and humidity, I'm also thinking about Marvin fiberglass windows. I want a high quality window that will work well for a high-end home with traditional lowcountry/farmhouse architecture.

Many thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: New Construction Windows for Home in South Carolina

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Wall depth depends entirely on how the home is frame and what the exterior consists of.

While you can push the window out or in, you are ultimately limited by the construction dimensions.

Can you ask your builder what your exterior wall construction will consist of?

Nothing wrong with vinyl (if that fits the look you want) in South Carolina.

Vallee

#3 Post by Vallee »

The specs say they are using 2x6 wall construction. Is that what you were asking pertaining to wall depth? Obviously I have a bit of learning to do about construction. I will be sure to let them know that we want to have ample depth to the windows/wall construction.

Also, we are looking at putting in 10' tall double french sliders. Is there a door manufacturer that you recommend? I'm thinking of Andersen since the glass tint would match Sunrise Windows -- both Andersen and Sunrise use Cardinal 366 glass. The doors will be under covered patios, but I want to make sure that they are high-quality and will hold up for the long haul.

Thank you for all your help!

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

With a traditional Sunrise nailing flange you should be looking at about 2 3/16" of vinyl window sticking into the wall/jamb pocket off the face of the sheathing. That leaves 4 3/8" for some nice and deep jamb extensions which more so than any wood offering. You will have even more stool depth due to how it sticks even more proud for proper symmetry of the horns to casing face and apron application.

Marvin fiberglass is very nice as well. I think that marriage of Sunrise windows with Andersen doors should pull together very nicely. I'm not so crazy about Sunrise's snap in fold down nailing flanges with open corners compared to a true and much thicker extruded integral nailing flange. Sunrise has a integral flange, however it features a built in j-channel that is more suited for standard vinyl siding. It's been at least six years since I've done any Sunrise products with flanges so it's possible that I'm not up to date on there total flanged options?

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As DM shared with a 2x6 wall you will end up with a 4 5/8" jamb on the typical vinyl window with integral nailing fin. If you like a traditional look add a 6 5/8 deep by 5/4 OG stool(sill), rout the returns and it is really sweat. Thrw in 3 1/2" Atlanta/Windsor casing and it is amazing.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I'm not sure if Sunrise has factory-applied extension jambs or not. It's been years since I carried their windows, but if they do have them then that would be the way to go. I've had great results with Okna, HiMark and Starmark's extension jambs.

The picture below is of an Okna 500DX Double Hung with factory-applied 6 9/16" extension jambs and nailing fins. They are available in white primed pine or un-primed pine in sizes that make the window depth a total of 4 9/16" or 6 9/16". Custom sized extension jambs are also available as is brickmould and nailing fins. These are ideal to use when doing full-frame installations.
Attachments
IMG_4115_4.jpg

Vallee

#7 Post by Vallee »

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and advice. This is great info and I really appreciate your help.

One last question, we are thinking of going with simulated divided lights for the Sunrise windows. I was wondering if you have thoughts on how they look and hold up. I previously had GBG for our Sunrise windows at our old house. I see that most of the homes in our neighborhood have aluminum clad windows, so the grills on the inside are painted wood. I really prefer the Sunrise windows but wonder how the SDL will look -- especially on the interior -- since they would be white metal and not wood.

Many thanks!

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most SDLs look great.
They cost alot and are a pane to clean all those corners.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

While the SDLs are nice, I am not a huge fan from the standpoint of cleaning. I don't think you can tell the difference from 10' away so I usually steer clients in that direction, but know full well that it is entirely an aesthetics preference choice.