1999 (older) Hurd window problem

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
doug rooney

1999 (older) Hurd window problem

#1 Post by doug rooney »

Hi everyone! New to the board and cannot find an answer to my problem anywhere. I put in double hung windows in 1999. 3 of them have broken springs on the bottom sash (Balance springs?). I see no way of getting to the broken springs. I think I know how the sashes come out but then what? How would I get the side jambs out (No screws in them). If I can get info on how they can be fixed, does anyone have a link to where these older parts can be found? Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: 1999 (older) Hurd window problem

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Doug,

Can you post up a couple of pictures of the windows?

If they don't have tilt latches on them, most of them are based on compression jamb liners if they are designed to be tilted in at all.

doug rooney

#3 Post by doug rooney »

Yes, these do tilt in via compression on the jambs. Hard to do so due to the design but they can be made to tilt. Will post pics if I can figure out how. Challenged in that department also..lol

Been trying to figure out how to post pics to no avail for 2 hours

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

doug rooney

#5 Post by doug rooney »

Windownerd, That would solve my problem but it looks to be very expensive for 3 windows as the sashes are included in the "upgrade kit". Wish I could find just the old style jambs with balance kit???

New upgrade kits are $900 each. Need 3. Maybe i'll just have to suck it up and pay??

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I doubt that you need to do sash replacement.
You just need parts.
Did you watch the video on the jambliner removal? Your is probably similar.
Pictures would be most helpful.
Anyway once you figure out how to get the balances/springs you can contact Blaine Window parts.
They are a great parts company that will be able to source parts for you based on photos and details you send to them.

doug rooney

#7 Post by doug rooney »

Thanks for the info . I'll work on those pics again tomorrow. I know I need a "Image hosting" site like Photobucket and they've changed things (for the better???) since I used it last

doug rooney

#8 Post by doug rooney »

Thanks everyone! Found the hardware needed at Sierra Pacific, Medford Wi which bought Hurd out and was where I originally bought the windows. I am selling the house next year or I would NOT have bought these springs again from this company. Yes, they have been in 17 years but in my mind, I think the hardware should last longer. The spring I can see in the top sash has a PLASTIC connector on the end. Given enough opening and closing, they will fail.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Glad you got it figured out.

Its tough to legitimize a replacement when you are selling the home and want to keep everything looking the same.

Congrats and good luck on the move.