Soft-Lite and Sunrise Comparison

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jojo

Soft-Lite and Sunrise Comparison

#1 Post by jojo »

Hello,

After reading many discussion boards, I've decided to go with either Soft-Lite or Sunrise windows.
I should be doing some more researches, but I'd love to hear from window professionals how they differ from each other in performance ratings and price range.

-Sunrise Restoration
-Soft-Lite Imperial LS
-Soft-Lite Elements

Thanks in advance for your input.

Windows on Washington

Re: Soft-Lite and Sunrise Comparison

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Soft-Lite Imperial LS = Elements. They are basically the same window with the Elements having a slightly different exterior profile and some more coving and details to the outside. Performance wise, they are nearly the same unit and both are extremely well built.

Sunrise Restorations is going to loose in the head to head with either of those Soft-Lites when it comes to the engineering and performance specs.

Where the Sunrise will best the Soft-Lite window is in the aesthetics. The Soft-Lite runs a bit bulky on the extrusions and the Sunrise is definitely a "prettier" window when you survey most of the consumers out there.

You can't go wrong with either so it is mostly going to depend on which look you prefer and which company you prefer (i.e. the installers).

jojo

#3 Post by jojo »

Thank you for your feedback, WoW. While I was waiting for feedback, I did some research and I do agree Soft-Lite spec is better than Sunrise. Okna windows are not available in my area.

I live in Nashville, TN and plan to replace windows and one patio doors in our three story townhome as below.
14 windows(33x65)-12 individuals plus 1 twin
4 1/2 round -on top of 4 of individuals
------------------------------------
18 total windows and one patio door

Here's are quotes I've got from three dealers/installers.

1. Sunrise Restoration + ProVia door =23K from Durante Home Exteriors
2. Soft-Lite Elements + King's Royal door =23K from TipTop Home Solutions
Soft-Lite Classic + King's Royal door =21.5K from TipTop Home Solutions
3. Soft-Lite Imperial DH + Zen Dharma door =15.5K from Zen Windows

My questions are;
1. Are these prices reasonable? I'm willing to pay for good quality but not overpriced.
2. I'm a bit confused about Imperial DH window(not LS) and waiting for some answers from the
dealer, and also concerned that Zen Windows company has some warning posted in this forum.
I haven't seen any postings from Nashville area, but I'm willing to contact any of them if you
know any reputable window company in my area.

Thank you so much for your time and input.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I didn't see where you mentioned whether these are double hung or casement, but if DH, I agree: Softlite Elements or LS over Restorations. If Casement however, give me the Sunrise. The Softlite casement is nothing special IMO, and the Sunrise DH, while well built, is a little flimsier than other top choices.

On prices, sounds like they are in the reasonable range. Many details will dictate just where on the spectrum they fall, however they are definitely in the ballpark except for the very low number.

On the "Imperial", do not confuse any window designated as "Imperial" as being the Imperial LS. The Imperial Pro and Imperial Classic are significant downgrades from the LS. They were high end windows 30 years ago, and while you could certainly do much worse today, they are generally sold by lumber yards and supply houses these days, or as a drop from one of SL's premium products. The numbers on them are okay, but I've replaced several jobs installed years ago due to air leakage.

jojo

#5 Post by jojo »

Thank you very much, HomeSealed.
I forgot to mention that my windows are all double hung.

I've got answers from the dealer(Zen Windows) and was explained that Imperial DH means double hung and it is same as Imperial LS. They also carry KingsRoyal door and they call it the Dharma door.

This is Zen Windows Nashville and the owner seems really good at following up with questions and quotes without any salesman coming out with two hour representation.
He said his company is small and not been round for long and trying to get a good reputation in Nashville market. They do have 'A' rating on BBB and Angie's list and I read many great reviews.
Would it be rational to think why their quote is low end? Or is it a completely ridiculous price range otherwise they're faking Soft-Lite Imperial LS?

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

jojo wrote:Thank you very much, HomeSealed.
I forgot to mention that my windows are all double hung.

I've got answers from the dealer(Zen Windows) and was explained that Imperial DH means double hung and it is same as Imperial LS. They also carry KingsRoyal door and they call it the Dharma door.

This is Zen Windows Nashville and the owner seems really good at following up with questions and quotes without any salesman coming out with two hour representation.
He said his company is small and not been round for long and trying to get a good reputation in Nashville market. They do have 'A' rating on BBB and Angie's list and I read many great reviews.
Would it be rational to think why their quote is low end? Or is it a completely ridiculous price range otherwise they're faking Soft-Lite Imperial LS?

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thank you.
If that Zen franchise is carrying the LS, that would be the first I've heard of that. Traditionally the Imperial Pro is their top offering. I'd ask for a CPD number that you can verify on nfrc.org.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

There is a pretty substantial jump in product from the Imperial pro to the Imperial LS.

uncle eddie

#8 Post by uncle eddie »

Windows on Washington wrote:+1

There is a pretty substantial jump in product from the Imperial pro to the Imperial LS.
I agree. Big jump between those lines, larger than the numbers would lead you to belive. I don't like going lower than the ls, and I'm a big softlite fan.
I'm not a fan of zen either. The idea is sound when you consider future buying habits of consumers, but I think the execution is severely flawed. Most of these seem to be your typical franchise buyers as opposed to industry professionals. The easy buying process is great for the homeowner initially, but leaves major blind spots for actually producing the project, and doing so either at a profit, or without adding significant charges after the fact. It seems as those these are mostly newer, fledgling, low volume franchises that don't make enough money to sustain business over the long term. Think of it like going in for surgery after having had a video conference with a doctor and no actual physical exam.

jojo

#9 Post by jojo »

Thank you all for your feedback.

I had asked the owner specifically if it is Imperial LS, not Imperial Pro or Imperial Classic. His answer was "There is no such thing as Imperial Pro or Classic windows." The fact that he doesn't know there are Imperial Pro or Classic makes me question if he has enough experience under his belt.

Let me ask you all one last question. If I go with Soft-Lite, is there big price difference between Elements and Imperial LS?

We only have two dealers of Soft-Lite window in Nashville. Zen Windows is one of the two dealers who handles all Soft-Lite windows except Elements. I don't seem to have luxury to pick and choose when it comes to good quality window replacement.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Hard to say what the gap is. In some markets, the jump is going to be huge and in some places, not so much.

Best to just get the numbers and run your own comparison.

Again, as stated above, Imperial LS : Elements comparison is fine and they are basically performance equivalents.

The Imperial Pro is not a performance equivalent to the Elements.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

jojo wrote:Thank you all for your feedback.

I had asked the owner specifically if it is Imperial LS, not Imperial Pro or Imperial Classic. His answer was "There is no such thing as Imperial Pro or Classic windows." The fact that he doesn't know there are Imperial Pro or Classic makes me question if he has enough experience under his belt.
I agree. Seems to speak to the comments by the poster above regarding that dealer... SL may have dropped the "Imperial" designation from those two lines as of late to avoid confusion, however he should know what you are talking about if he has any history in this industry.
jojo wrote:Let me ask you all one last question. If I go with Soft-Lite, is there big price difference between Elements and Imperial LS?
Not a huge difference, no. The Elements has a couple neat bells and whistles, and is generally reserved for the cream of the crop Softlite dealer in any given market (that's a good thing), however the bones are the same between the two.
jojo wrote:We only have two dealers of Soft-Lite window in Nashville. Zen Windows is one of the two dealers who handles all Soft-Lite windows except Elements. I don't seem to have luxury to pick and choose when it comes to good quality window replacement.
I'd double check to confirm on the LS availability as mentioned earlier. A CPD number is a quick and easy way to verify on NFRC.org.... While it's pretty unanimous that the Elements/LS is a bit more stout than the Sunrise option, I'd highly recommend taking the dealer reputation, size, history, etc into account here as well. For instance, if the Sunrise dealer has a history of 10+ years in business, and a substantial and excellent reputation across review sites etc, I'd recommend giving that proper weight in your decision.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like the way HomeSealed shared his thoughts and I agree.

jojo

#13 Post by jojo »

Thank you all so much for your time and your opinions.

I received CPD# from each dealer and compared on nfrc. As mentioned in this board, I'm pretty confident that I'm choosing high quality windows either Elements or LS. Now my focus is now on dealer's experience and reputation.

If it's not too stupid to ask, other than Angie's List, BBB.org, reading customer's reviews on google or facebook, what are the good way to check dealer/installer's reputation? I would hate to take every word spoken by their salesman.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Ask for the contact info of their last 3 completed jobs.
Call and discuss the experience with those contacts.

jojo

#15 Post by jojo »

Thank you very much. It's been great help getting wonderful advices from you all.