Window Comparison

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jojo

Window Comparison

#1 Post by jojo »

I have Soft-Lite and Sunrise window guys are going over each other's window and insisting that their window is better by specific comparison. I know these are windows(Vinyl Double hung) are well regarded by this board, but I'd love to hear some of you guys.

1. Balance System - Constance force vs Block and tackle
2. Argon gas- both companies boasting that their window has more argon gas(76% vs 98%)
3. Sunrise guy said they have triple weather stripping, hence lower air infiltration vs dual weather stripping in Soft-Lite

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Delaware Mike

Re: Window Comparison

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

You will never have a problem with either balance system. If a rep is relaying slander towards one system being completely superior to the other he is just splitting hairs. Block and tackle technically from the tests that I've seen has a longer lifespan, however unless you're a vampire or Dorian Gray I wouldn't worry about it. The balances that we typically see fail are the older spiral balances which I've not seen a manufacturer utilize in at least 10-years.

Most of the u-factor performance numbers are within .01 of each other depending on how the glazing is configured and what spacer is opted for with both of these manufacturers. Soft-Lite glazes with several types of steel Intercept spacing and the Super Spacer from Edgetech. Sunrise has Cardinal's XL Edge stainless steel spacing across their whole lineup. XL Edge is commonly utilized in most upper end wood clad windows as in the case of Marvin, Pella, and Andersen. Cardinal has a newer flagship spacer that the wood guys seem to be switching to but Sunrise didn't like it in some of their wider spaced glass units like with patio sliders. No worries with either manufacturer regarding spacers, again splitting hairs.

Soft-Lite has triple-weatherstripping on their Imperial LS, Elements, and most likely on their new Barcelona hurricane series. Their older lines utilize only double.

Most of these sales guys are like politicians in that they speak out of both sides of their mouths. There are pros and cons of every window out there. Sunrise does offer a ton of great options and it's one the nicest looking windows out there. Their mission seems to focus on very narrow sashes and master frames while featuring a lot of glass. That can come at a price on very large units as the frame might be a little harder for the installers to shim and anchor to stay true.

In most cases I would say that you would love the Restorations, Vanguard, or Verde lines from Sunrise while the Imperial LS or Elements would be the way to go with SL. You will start to see a drop off with SL once you go towards the older platforms like the Pro, Classic, Bainbridge, and Barrington.

jojo

#3 Post by jojo »

Thanks for taking time to go over my questions, Mike.
Sunrise Restoration, SL Elements, Imperial LS are the ones I am considering.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

I would take both of the Soft-Lite products before Sunrise. The Sunrise is under built imo .

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I agree with Todd here. The Soft-Lite (Elements and Imperial LS) are superior built products to the Sunrise.

The Sunrise wins in the looks competition though.

Martha Bern

#6 Post by Martha Bern »

Have you decided on the best window option? I've seen the posts of users here, who tried to help you with the choice. Did they really help you? The thing is that I'm about to replace my old windows, but I can't decide on the most suitable manufacturer. So, I'm interested in your opinion. Thanks in advance.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Martha, if you have any reservations about the advice given, the best thing that you can do is default to the thermal and structural performance data of each window for comparison. Its all thrid party tested and certified. There are of course exceptions to every rule in life, but if you follow those metrics they will very rarely lead you wrong.

jamnesta

#8 Post by jamnesta »

I'm also considering these 2 manufacturers for a new retirement home on a lake. In consideration of the view Sunrise was my first choice...however the question of sash integrity has given me pause. Due to availability I'm limited to the standard Sunrise, but would option it with Ultracore insulation and Fibercore sash reinforcement. My largest window will be 108W X 72H w/ integral mull, so 3 windows really. Is there anything I can do to mitigate this concern such as single hung v double hung? Casement is not really an option. Since we're talking new construction I'll need a nailing fin and my builder will be doing the install.
I've just started looking at Soft-Lite as my only possible alternative; options for quality vinyl windows in Northwest Arkansas are limited. Thanks to this site for all the expert advice and generosity with your time!
John

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

John,

So three (3) 36" by 72" windows mulled together?

The Sunrise is pretty okay at those widths as long as you specify the sash reinforcement. The additional support of the nailing flange will definitely support the window frame and overall strength as well.

Combine that with very flat sills (i.e. rough opening, new construction), you have all the details going for you.

jamnesta

#10 Post by jamnesta »

Yes, the window will be configured exactly that way. Thank you, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear, much appreciated!

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds good.

Post up some before and after pictures.

Martha Bern

#12 Post by Martha Bern »

HomeSealed wrote:Martha, if you have any reservations about the advice given, the best thing that you can do is default to the thermal and structural performance data of each window for comparison. Its all thrid party tested and certified. There are of course exceptions to every rule in life, but if you follow those metrics they will very rarely lead you wrong.
Thanks for the advice. I've been exploring the topic for a while trying to find the best window manufacturer. A friend of mine told me that she has been working with Total Home for several years already and she is sure that the company really deserves the attention. If anyone wants to have an overview of different window types (and the doors as well) they offer, then take your time to contact the company. I've just ordered an awning window from them and I'm satisfied both with the product quality and the service.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

Martha Bern wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:Martha, if you have any reservations about the advice given, the best thing that you can do is default to the thermal and structural performance data of each window for comparison. Its all thrid party tested and certified. There are of course exceptions to every rule in life, but if you follow those metrics they will very rarely lead you wrong.
Thanks for the advice. I've been exploring the topic for a while trying to find the best window manufacturer. A friend of mine told me that she has been working with Total Home for several years already and she is sure that the company really deserves the attention. If anyone wants to have an overview of different window types (and the doors as well) they offer, then take your time to contact the company. I've just ordered an awning window from them and I'm satisfied both with the product quality and the service.
That is the most helpful advice, thanks for letting me know.
What brand of window did they sell you.

Martha Bern

#14 Post by Martha Bern »

They've recommended me a trusted window manufacturer in Toronto, they've been working with for several years already. I'm gonna contact them soon and I'll let your know the result.