High Altitude Windows??

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Producible

High Altitude Windows??

#1 Post by Producible »

Question, I'm going to be installing a new 5' patio slider in a condo I own located in Mammoth Lakes, CA, elevation 8,200Ft. My window dealer (located at sea level) says I need to order my slider with the "High Altitude" option. This option doubles the price of the slider from $500 to just over $1,000! I've unknowingly installed smaller windows at this altitude with no problem, I just happened to mention to him where I was installing and he insists this option is necessary. He said it has to do with over pressurizing the argon gas between the panes so the glass did not distort and possibly break due to the change in altitude. Anybody have this issue before or know where I can get more information as to what I'm getting for the extra add on? My dealer was not able to explain it in any more detail, other than it comes up on his screen for installations above 7,000 ft.

Windows on Washington

Re: High Altitude Windows??

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You have, at least so far, lucked out. Given that the windows are small, the pressure on the glass seal may be slight enough so as to not create any issues.

A larger IGU will have issues and should be ordered with the proper accommodations for the manufacturing location vs. installation location altitudes.

Guy

Re: High Altitude Windows??

#3 Post by Guy »

Producible,
This is a very real issue at the higher elevation. I'm a bit set back on the price though. The only thing they do differently is add a 12" breather tube. If you think of your ears popping then you'll know your Eustachian tubes relieve that pressure. This is the same thing for the glass. Once the glass arrives on site it rests for a day and then you crimp and snap the tubes off. But I know I only pay $100.00 extra. If your glass goes to implode please be careful
Good Luck!!!