Mid-range vinyl replacement window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
musiclvr56

Mid-range vinyl replacement window

#1 Post by musiclvr56 »

I was considering purchasing Pella windows from Lowes (Pella R 250 Series), but read that these, along with windows that are sold at Home Depot are "terrible". I have been reading/educating myself by doing google searches. I read that cheap windows do not have replaceable sash balances-these are the parts that are most likely to fail with regular usage. I am only looking for recommendations for a window, not an installer. Which window manufacturer is recommended and where can I get the best price for this? I am hoping to pay under $500 for two windows. I live in the Boston area. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Mid-range vinyl replacement window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you talking about just materials costs? Even still...I'm not sure what product you are going to find that is decent at that number. That is less than what a large volume window contractor would pay for a good window.

musiclvr56

#3 Post by musiclvr56 »

One of the reasons I am interested in purchasing replacement windows is because there is no screen and you can't open up these 30 plus old windows in the guest bedroom. The other reason is that I don't have Central Air Conditioning in my house and would like to put a window air conditioner when we have a heat wave which isn't too often. I only use the air conditioner in my bedroom less than a dozen times during the summer in Boston.

I spoke with someone from Pella and she told me it is not recommended to put a window air conditioner in their vinyl windows because the corner seam can crack.

I haven't made any phone calls yet to inquire as to whether other vinyl window manufacturers also don't recommend putting an air conditioner in the window.

Thank you again and I appreciate your input.

Karen

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Vinyl windows, in general, don't like window AC units and they should be supported via additional blocking as compared to resting directly on the sill.

That said, if ever a window would crack...it would probably be a lower end unit.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Small ( 4004- 5000 BTU) AC units can be done if blocked properly and with a decent window.
I would avoid the mentioned series that you mentioned.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do not think you could get what I would use for $250 per window in Boston.
You might call siding/roofing supply house and ask for a Simonton 5500.
What is the approximate size you would want the replacement windows to be?