Okna Insul-Tec 500 vs Slocomb 144 for Warm Climate

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
caztroy8

Okna Insul-Tec 500 vs Slocomb 144 for Warm Climate

#1 Post by caztroy8 »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to window replacement and have found this board extremely helpful during this process, so thank you!

Anyway, we are replacing 21 double-hung, 1 picture, and 1 sliding door and could use some help now that we've narrowed the field down to 2. We live in North Carolina and our house is south facing with about half of these getting very good sunlight. The two most important factors for us are summer efficiency and appearance (more glass, less frame).

Option 1: Okna Insul-Tec 500 (U 0.25, SHGC 0.30, VT 0.55, CR 62).

Option 2: Slocomb 144 Solstice Series (U 0.26, SHGC 0.21, VT 0.49, CR 51).

Prices for both are comparable (~$600 per window before tax). Okna seems like the better window but I do worry about the higher heat gain and the fact that it's energy star certification stops just north of our area. With Slocomb, I mostly worry about condensation.

Also, I've read that the Insul-Tec has a thinner frame than most in it's class, which we like. Does anyone know how Slocomb's would compare?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna Insul-Tec 500 vs Slocomb 144 for Warm Climate

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Okna will have better air infiltration numbers in addition to the better numbers you have listed there (i.e. U-Factor and CR).

If you are worried about SHGC, ask you vendor about the 5527 coating from Guardian.

That said, depending on where you are located in NC, the SHGC number of 0.30 might be more "right" for you than the 0.21.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The Okna is the superior product via the performance metrics. That said, the installation and company backing it is very important as well, and should be given proper weight.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+2 to all the above.

gchmelewski

#5 Post by gchmelewski »

I too live in NC and am also looking into these windows. I like the U Factor for the Okna insul tec 500 better, the Vt i like better to have better light. I live in Raleigh, NC. So what is a good mix between the U factor and the sghc? on the okna its a .3 vs the .21 from slocomb. Curious though just how much we can really notice the difference with slight difference in these numbers?

Even though I am considered in the south central zone, we get very cold during the winter(seen 5 degrees here, norm will be in the high teens for the coldest months) and very hot in the summer. So I am having a hard time with what is best as far as the sghc numbers. The okna has the highest numbers for that.

Who installs the Okna windows? Im coming up with Home depot??? Where can i find a reputable installer?

One last problem I am having between my estimates that i have not seen anyone mention is that I'm being told to install my windows in two different methods. One costing a lot more.

Hey just a heads up on your slocomb quote it is suppose to be bogo right now. Waiting for that quote to come back.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 0.21 SHGC number (in a double pane) is more appropriate for a climate closer to Florida's vs one that has a definite winter season.

BOGO deals are just not so clever marketing ploys.

To find an Okna dealer, you can call them directly or I can try to check the dealer network.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

gchmelewski wrote:I too live in NC and am also looking into these windows. I like the U Factor for the Okna insul tec 500 better, the Vt i like better to have better light. I live in Raleigh, NC. So what is a good mix between the U factor and the sghc? on the okna its a .3 vs the .21 from slocomb. Curious though just how much we can really notice the difference with slight difference in these numbers?

Even though I am considered in the south central zone, we get very cold during the winter(seen 5 degrees here, norm will be in the high teens for the coldest months) and very hot in the summer. So I am having a hard time with what is best as far as the sghc numbers. The okna has the highest numbers for that.

Who installs the Okna windows? Im coming up with Home depot??? Where can i find a reputable installer?

One last problem I am having between my estimates that i have not seen anyone mention is that I'm being told to install my windows in two different methods. One costing a lot more.

Hey just a heads up on your slocomb quote it is suppose to be bogo right now. Waiting for that quote to come back.
I just googled okna windows raleigh nc and the top 3 or 4 results were all the same company. Looks to be the Okna dealer in your area.

Home Depot has no affiliation with Okna whatsoever

gchmelewski

#8 Post by gchmelewski »

Okay sounds good. Yes I have that Raleigh company seeing me on Monday. I find it interesting though that every other window i,m being sold here is a .21 for sghc. That installer said he wouldn't even bother with the 600 or the 800 for the Okna's. He felt the 500 were still the best window.

My house is siding and the current windows have a flange type thing around them in which I guess the siding would need to be removed for that. So some of the installers tell me they have to put a whole new window in framing and window and then others say that they don't have to do that they can cut it out. But some installer argue you can't do that you won't have a good airtight window that way. What is the proper way or is there one?

Thanks

gchmelewski

#9 Post by gchmelewski »

I finally have the two bids in for my windows.

In my house I have to have the full construction windows installed. hence the slightly higher prices.

slocomb 144 solstice 11 windows (no garage) U factor .26, sghc .21 vt .49, R value 4 $8998
slocomb 144 w/ ultraflect U factor .22, sghc .20 vt .46, cr 51, R value 5 $10194.00

Okna 500 Series 13 windows incl garage Ufactor .25, sghc .27, vt .49, al .02, cr 62 $8883.82

I live in the middle of North Carolina (Raleigh) Mixed weather state. Cold winters and hot summers. My house faces the east to west so the back side gets the hot afternoon sun.

Just wondering which window you would go with and why?

Thanks

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I see that you have the CR and AI stats for the Okna, but not the Slocomb? I'd get those as well for comparison.

As far as the choice, the Okna is more highly regarded, has better numbers and a better price. Seems like an fairly easy choice on this one.

gchmelewski

#11 Post by gchmelewski »

best I can tell the slocombs are 51 CR rating. and I only have less than or equal to the .30 for the ai rating not an exact number?

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

Slocomb doesn't publish their AI numbers with the brochures on the 143 or 144 series. They both only have two layers of weatherstripping on the sash profile verses three on all of the OKNA series, thus the tighter air numbers with OKNA. Slocomb's welds are very rough and not shaved clean as they should be. The older Earthwise extrusion platforms pale in comparison to the 500, 600, and 800 series from OKNA. The sill design of the Slocomb on that series has a very unfinished face sill dam that isn't mortised or telescopes into the jambs like more of the newer mid-upperend vinyl offerings out there too. Last but not least, the exterior frame profile on the OKNA 500 is much more attractive and less "odd" than that of the 144.

Slocumb is a solid manufacturer and they have been around a long time, but I've never considered their various lines to be anything more than budget oriented.

WindowsDirectCinci

#13 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I'd double check Slocomb CR rating. Im showing 62 CR and .07 is the AI on the Slocomb. Surprised they are that close in pricing tbh