old rowhouse window replacement options: wood vs. vinyl

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
oldDCrowhouse

old rowhouse window replacement options: wood vs. vinyl

#1 Post by oldDCrowhouse »

I have an early 1900's rowhouse in DC (non historic district) and I'm conflicted over whether to go with wood or vinyl windows. I currently have old and cheap vinyl windows that I inherited from the previous owner, but the house otherwise has lots of original features and I would like to restore the house to its original glory, within reason. The current windows are painted brown (which I gather was a no-no that may have caused the windows to prematurely fail) and match the trim. I have several bids for 10 replacement windows, which I am considering getting in black or a brown to match the trim.

roughly 8K for Vitex Fortis vinyl windows. (or in one case the "upgraded" Vitex Prodigy, which I gather is really the Fortis.) I understand a lot of posters prefer Okna to Vitex but I gather they are close and Okna is not offered by anyone I have encountered who works in D.C. Both of these proposals include laminated glass for extra sound insulation for my 3 street-exposed upstairs bedroom windows.

2) roughly 10K for Pella Pro-Line wood windows (no laminated glass option available)

3) 16K for Marvin clad ultimate double hung next generation. laminated glass is 500 (!) extra for each window. So figure $17,500 for an apples to apples comparison to the Vitex quote above.

My question is whether it is worth it to go for wood and, if so, whether I should splurge for the Marvin windows(and whether I could negotiate a better price)? I'd also like advice on the aluminum cladding. My house and trim will need to be periodically painted anyway, so I don't see also painting the windows as a huge deal.

Any window at all will be a huge improvement over what I have, but I'm wondering if there would be a big aesthetic improvement from going wood in this case? I'd also like thoughts on going with black windows here with the existing brown trim (the door is currently in that pattern) I'm not planning to replace the dormers up top, which could complicate getting black windows, so perhaps I should just go brown.
Attachments
Home DC.jpg

Windows on Washington

Re: old rowhouse window replacement options: wood vs. vinyl

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The office is correct that we aren't currently servicing DC. I can go into the difficulties of DC on a separate communication, but its a PITB.

If you want to email me, I can chat with you directly about your options and see if we can be of some assistance.

Eric

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

TheWindowNerd

Re: old rowhouse window replacement options: wood vs. vinyl

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Only you can decide on the look you want.
As far as function, durability, performance, and best value the Okna 800 DX would be my first choice, plus you can get laminated glass.
Eric at Windows on Washington will be a best resource.

theWindowNerd.