Milgard vs. Simonton vs. Alside

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
sfmarshall@gmail.com

Milgard vs. Simonton vs. Alside

#1 Post by sfmarshall@gmail.com »

I'm ready to order 9 replacement windows, box frame style to replace old metal crank-out windows. It's a duplex/investment property with wood siding, so I'm looking for a cost effective yet decent quality window, and hopefully it has a good warranty - including glass breakage. My 3 best bids are: Simonton CV500 installed by Home Depot for $6800, including glass breakage and limited lifetime warranty; Milgard Styleline installed by Lowes for $5,800 with limited lifetime warranty including glass breakage; and Alside 700 Series installed by a local professional glass company for $5,200 with limited lifetime warranty though no glass breakage coverage. (There was a past attempted break-in during the time between tenants, so I kind of like the idea of everything being covered.) Which of the three will give my the best window and guarantee? What are the considerations for best window vs. best installation? I appreciate your thoughts on this - I need to decide this week. Thank you!
Steve in Sacramento.

Windows on Washington

Re: Milgard vs. Simonton vs. Alside

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Who is the Milgard installed by?

That sounds like the best deal so far.

sfmarshall@gmail.com

#3 Post by sfmarshall@gmail.com »

The Milgard would be installed by Lowes Home Improvement Co., so it would be one of their approved contractors.

My concern is that Milgard Styleline is one of the lower end products they make, and wondered if anyone has any experience with all three products to help me make an informed decision.

I also don't know much about Alside. They are a line made by AMI, and I know there were some issues with Alside/Alpine windows made before 2000. But now that the parent company has been manufacturing them for a while, is the quality any good?

The Simonton seem to be pretty sturdy and I've seen some reviews that folks have liked them. But they're quite a bit more expensive, especially considering it's for an investment property. Any advice is appreciated!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are correct that Simonton is a well regarded brand. The concern with both the Simonton and Milgard, for me, is who will be installing it.

Are there no local window and door vendors in your region? They will typically do a bit more managed job of the installation and oversight.

WindowsDirectCinci

#5 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Alpine and Alside are both owned by AMI and share the same window platforms. Different branding . Alside, Revere, Alpine, Berkshire etc....... I second to look for local installers/vendors your likely to get better installation/brands