Is this installation correct?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bungalooky

Is this installation correct?

#1 Post by Bungalooky »

Hey Folks,

So we have been doing a lot of work on our 1920s Bungalow. The back of the house was added on in the 50's, including a sunroom. We had to replace the old rotting windows and decided to go with Double Hung Vinyl windows.

Our GC was a bit problematic and we are in the process of getting rid of them. However, the windows are already in. We aren't terribly happy with the installation (though the windows themselves seem fine). The windows protrude from the stucco (they put on new stucco after putting in the windows as they also reframed to fix some unevenness in the old build.

So they put in the new windows. Inside of the sunroom we have about a 3 inch sill but outside we have what is pictured here: https://flic.kr/p/21yLryo

The contractor insists this is the correct installation for these windows but we had assumed the windows would be inset (or at least flush) as are all other windows in the house. We also asked for a bit of wood around the inset so we could paint the trim to match everything else that is trimmed.

Anyway, my core question right now... is that kind of outie installation really standard or correct?

Thank you!

toddinmn

Re: Is this installation correct?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Bungalooky wrote:Hey Folks,

So we have been doing a lot of work on our 1920s Bungalow. The back of the house was added on in the 50's, including a sunroom. We had to replace the old rotting windows and decided to go with Double Hung Vinyl windows.

Our GC was a bit problematic and we are in the process of getting rid of them. However, the windows are already in. We aren't terribly happy with the installation (though the windows themselves seem fine). The windows protrude from the stucco (they put on new stucco after putting in the windows as they also reframed to fix some unevenness in the old build.

A vinyl window with a nail fin will stick out about an inch past the sheathing. Looks about normal but hard to say since it is now has stucco. Other methods could have been used such as Not using a fin or furring out the wall.

So they put in the new windows. Inside of the sunroom we have about a 3 inch sill but outside we have what is pictured here: https://flic.kr/p/21yLryo

The contractor insists this is the correct installation for these windows but we had assumed the windows would be inset (or at least flush) as are all other windows in the house. We also asked for a bit of wood around the inset so we could paint the trim to match everything else that is trimmed.

Anyway, my core question right now... is that kind of outie installation really standard or correct?

Thank you!

Bungalooky

#3 Post by Bungalooky »

Thank you Todd,

So it is normal for the replacement window (Or I suppose new construction since they reframed) to stick out beyond the house walls? I can't find any examples around here on friends homes where that happens, typically they are inset, which is the standard on all the other windows in our house. Admittedly those windows are older, which is why I don't want to say it is wrong but I was surprised to see it.

As it breaks down we will likely have them all removed anyway and have a new installation done, buying new windows if we must, to have them inset. My wife is very unhappy with the look.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Here is the direct link picture below. Easier than going offsite for the picture.

I agree with Todd that stucco installs are a tricky undertaking and this looks like what is traditionally referred to as a stucco flange or frame jump.

We will need some more pics from different angles to really see what is going on.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

The install looks fine to me as well, i dont see anything wrong here. Your contractor seems to have done everything correctly.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most replacement windows do not have a fin.
If they used a vinyl window with a fin then what you have is correct.
You could picture frame the exterior trim as 1 x 4 or 5/4 x 4 over the stucco.

Bungalooky

#7 Post by Bungalooky »

Wow thanks everyone for the great responses. I really appreciate your input.

So I do believe these had fins which were screwed in.

New question: Would it be possible for a qualified installer to install these deeper set. The wife really wants inset windows. We didn't communicate that at the time because we assumed (incorrectly) the windows would be set as the previous ones.

So, if we were to have the stucco opened up again, and there is enough depth in there (the inside sill is now is about 5 inches) is it possible for those windows to be inset more?

I don't actually mind paying to have it done but I am wondering if it is possible with those windows.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

We would really need to see more pictures of the openings to make that determination.

The short answer is "yes". It can usually always be set as an insert, the question is what is entailed at that point.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with Windows on Washington, it can be done. As with most things it has to be done right.
Water management with a non fin install and stucco is extremely important.

thewindownerd.com