St. Louis Windows replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bishoptf

St. Louis Windows replacement

#1 Post by bishoptf »

I am wanting to replace about 12 windows in my house and have been in read mode for several days. The majority of the windows I will be going will be double hung, but we have 2 Picture windows (in a bay with 2 singles on either side x 2, one of these is in the bathroom). I also have in the basement 2 single hungs that have been joined to make one window.

I will be going with an all vinyl window, and wanting to go with one thats going to be the best bang for the buck. I am somewhat different in that I already have my installer/contractor that I trust and I would prefer him to do the work vs a local dealer. I tend to find trades that specialize in the different areas and takes a long time to find the guys that do it right.

I am also debating weather to go with new construction windows vs replacement. I have vinyl siding and when it warms up removing the siding while a hassle should not be an issue. having the nail flange will that make for a better installation? Would like thoughts about that approach, this will make the installation more $$ but I think it will be a better install but would like some input.

Last but least is which window to go with, I have read that Okna, Sunrise, Soft-Lite tend to be the better lines to go with. Looks like Okna does not have any dealers or anyway to order windows in St. Louis. Soft-lite has a couple of dealers but they want to do the install. I have found one dealer that can order Sunrise but they mentioned Restoration and since I am going mostly with Double hung I have read that Sunrise Restoration DH are not the best choice due to lack of frame stiffness.

So where does that leave me, I guess I am trying to figure out what is the best bang for buck that I can order in my area. I have read that while the Simonton 5500 is not the best its a solid window. I know I can order them from lots of different places so that is one option. The other one that I am trying to find a supplier for is Polaris windows, I am interested in the new Thermalweld Plus windows but so far I have not been able to find a supplier for these windows. The other drawback for the polaris window is I am not sure it comes in a new construction option. I saw a recent St. Louis post that mentioned Polaris but he didn't say which dealer.

I know TLDR, I guess I am looking for opinions regarding replacement vs new construction option and besides Simonton what would be some other well built windows that should be available in the St. Louis area.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: St. Louis Windows replacement

#2 Post by masterext »

A local “ window dealer” would specialize in windows. Thats your best avenue opposd to having your own guy who is more than likely a jack of all trades. Most higher end window dealers are somewhat reluctant to sell only the window due to warranty issues ect.., its just far too many headaches.
I no longer do it.

bishoptf

#3 Post by bishoptf »

masterext wrote:A local “ window dealer” would specialize in windows. Thats your best avenue opposed to having your own guy who is more than likely a jack of all trades. Most higher end window dealers are somewhat reluctant to sell only the window due to warranty issues ect.., its just far too many headaches.
I no longer do it.
Thanks for the reply, I understand that but its just that I trust my guy to do the right thing, takes many years to find individuals that know what they are doing and don't cut corners. What I would like to know is besides simonton what other mfg would be better that is available at the local building supply store(s). I'd rather not go through HD or Lowes and go with the local supply companies. Still trying to see if I can get polaris windows from a supplier around St. Louis, I think they would be better than simonton but have to find a supplier that can order them.

win1

#4 Post by win1 »

Just a note on the Sunrise Restorations DH. It does have fiberglass reinforcing in both the vertical rails and horizontal rail of the sashes. The Restorations is the top of line unit from Sunrise. The base model does not have the fiberglass reinforcing so with the Restorations model you will gain some strength/stiffness over the base model. I have found no issues with installing the Restorations model due to lack of "frame stiffness".

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

win1 wrote:Just a note on the Sunrise Restorations DH. It does have fiberglass reinforcing in both the vertical rails and horizontal rail of the sashes. The Restorations is the top of line unit from Sunrise. The base model does not have the fiberglass reinforcing so with the Restorations model you will gain some strength/stiffness over the base model. I have found no issues with installing the Restorations model due to lack of "frame stiffness".
If it's using the same sill as base model, I'd say it Is a poor design and has a tendency to bow. Screwing down the sill is often needed to hold it level.

win1

#6 Post by win1 »

Never had to screw the sill down due to bowing on a Sunrise Restorations. Install both Sunrise and Soft-Lite and found both to have plenty stiffness in the sills. Have had to do that on some other lower end models from other manufacturers.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I have to agree with Todd. While I have a slightly higher opinion than him on Sunrise in general, the sill is pretty flimsy and I've personally had to screw it down to prevent significant "frowning" which looks terrible and can impede operation (yes they were Restorations). This is very similar to the Great Lakes/Plygem units in that regard.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I was taught be Sunrise's most tenured install problem solver at their headquarters to set their DH units upon shims to relax the center, and if that doesn't work precision bore a center hole, dip one of the extra factor stainless screws in silicone and screw the sill down to level. One is expected to wet-bed the factory plug in color matched silicone and plug. It one bores directly underneath of the bottom sash so the bore hole and cap is hidden with the frown completely taken out to level, it torques and pulls the outer sill corners katty wampus and then the non-locking screen has gaps that can't be fixed as it will not contact the sill.

They know about this and don't care. They know most installers and subs and hacks in general and don't think average homeowners have that concerning of an eye. Even with all of that I still like the product, but can't justify the price jump from products that are better engineered at better pricing for their dealers.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

Delaware Mike wrote:I was taught be Sunrise's most tenured install problem solver at their headquarters to set their DH units upon shims to relax the center, and if that doesn't work precision bore a center hole, dip one of the extra factor stainless screws in silicone and screw the sill down to level. One is expected to wet-bed the factory plug in color matched silicone and plug. It one bores directly underneath of the bottom sash so the bore hole and cap is hidden with the frown completely taken out to level, it torques and pulls the outer sill corners katty wampus and then the non-locking screen has gaps that can't be fixed as it will not contact the sill.

They know about this and don't care. They know most installers and subs and hacks in general and don't think average homeowners have that concerning of an eye. Even with all of that I still like the product, but can't justify the price jump from products that are better engineered at better pricing for their dealers.
I was instructed by the sales rep to screw the sills down weather they were bowing or not. The last Sunrise job I replaced still had bad bowed sills despite some being screwed down in 3 places. Both sashes were all frowned and some had the lift rails separating.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

I have started a thread in the contractors section.

Technical discussions should be confined to that forum if possible folks.

win1...if you need the password, feel free to email me: enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

win1

#11 Post by win1 »

Maybe they have made some corrections. All i'm saying is that I have not personally seen this as an issue but that is not to insinuate that others have not had issues.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote: ... to set their DH units upon shims to relax the center, and if that doesn't work precision bore a center hole, dip one of the extra factor stainless screws in silicone and screw the sill down to level. One is expected to wet-bed the factory plug in color matched silicone and plug. It one bores directly underneath of the bottom sash so the bore hole and cap is hidden with the frown completely taken out to level, it torques and pulls the outer sill corners katty wampus and then the non-locking screen has gaps that can't be fixed as it will not contact the sill.
My experience exactly... I'll admit that I haven't installed that line in a few years, but I've not heard of any revisions to the product to correct it either. I'd be interested to know if there have been, and again, I do think its a solid window regardless.

WindowsDirectCinci

#13 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Well if there is more screws holding it in than its less likely to fall out then. :lol: . I have only seen it on one that I can recall and it was a 52" wide unit