Need help choosing double hung vinyl replacement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jrollman

Need help choosing double hung vinyl replacement windows

#1 Post by jrollman »

Hello, I live in Raleigh, NC and have quotes from several contractors for double hung vinyl replacement windows. I'm looking to go with middle-of-road windows and each contractor uses a different manufacturer/model, and I am hoping folks here can provide insight as to which ones are recommended to go with in terms of quality and value.

Here's are my options to choose from:

- Alside: Mezzo model
- Great Lakes: Comfort Smart model
- Interstate: Invue 5200 model
- Atrium: 8300 series model
- West Window Company: West Edge model
- Vinyl Design Corporation: Mountainview 1000 series

If none of the above are recommended, what would you suggest?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need help choosing double hung vinyl replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I'm not familiar with the last several, but the short list isn't what most folks would refer to as great choices.

Do you have a Soft-Lite, Sunrise, or Okna dealer in your area? Have you tried a map search based on that set of terms?

greyboy

#3 Post by greyboy »

I'm in Raleigh, as well, currently getting a number of quotes. All three windows (Soft-Lite, Sunrise, or Okna) can be found in the area, but the list of installers seems slim.

I'm going through the short list now. I'm not sure if it's proper to post installers here, so contact me directly if you'd like a list of some that do.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

There is nothing wrong with posting up some additional information to help each other out. Where the moderators might flag something is if it at all appears to be promoting one installer or company over another.

I am sure that your information and research will be appreciated by the board.

greyboy

#5 Post by greyboy »

Great, I hope these help. These are not in any specific order, of course.

1. The sole Sunrise installer in the area is Kelly Window and Door:
https://www.kellywindowanddoor.com

2. Another independent installer is Windows, Doors and More, installing Pella, OKNA, Andersen, Marvin, EcoSmart (Great Lakes?), and Velux:
https://www.wdmore.com

3. Another installer for provide OKNA and Marvin is Raleigh Window and Siding:
http://www.raleighwindowsandsiding.com

4. According to Soft-Lite's site, a local installer is Kingsford:
http://www.kingsfordvinylsiding.com

There appears to be another installer about an hour away, but not sure if they service the Raleigh area.

I've had the first three out for quotes so far. I've seen the work done by #1 and #2 at the homes of friends and neighbors, from which they were recommended. Of course, read their reviews on Angies List, Houzz, Home Advisor, etc. - which is what we've done.

I hope this is useful.

-N

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

greyboy wrote:I'm in Raleigh, as well, currently getting a number of quotes. All three windows (Soft-Lite, Sunrise, or Okna) can be found in the area, but the list of installers seems slim.

I'm going through the short list now. I'm not sure if it's proper to post installers here, so contact me directly if you'd like a list of some that do.
The reason that the installer list may seem slim is because higher end products are pretty selective about the dealers that they work with, and have territories etc. While it may seem like a negative in having fewer choices, it can actually be pretty beneficial as it weeds out a lot of bad installers and poorly run companies that are so common in the home improvement industry. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking top end companies sell the top end products.... This is even more true when considering the higher end models from said manufacturers. Sometimes the older, lower end lines are sold to anyone with a pulse. Something like the Softlite Pro and Classic would be an example. On the flip side, the SL Elements, Okna 800/Himark/Envirostar, and Sunrise Restorations and Vanguard are pretty safe bets.

jrollman

#7 Post by jrollman »

Thanks for replies, everyone. So it seems no one is recommending any of the manufacturers/models that I've been quoted?

For context, I don't live in an expensive community (avg home prices being $175k - $225k) and the homes are 40-45 years old. Paying for top of line windows (e.g. Okna) seems kinda silly given it's not going to affect my resale value much given where I live and the houses in my community. Am I wrong in thinking that?

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

jrollman wrote:Thanks for replies, everyone. So it seems no one is recommending any of the manufacturers/models that I've been quoted?
Correct. Certainly nothing better than a "meh..."
jrollman wrote:For context, I don't live in an expensive community (avg home prices being $175k - $225k) and the homes are 40-45 years old. Paying for top of line windows (e.g. Okna) seems kinda silly given it's not going to affect my resale value much given where I live and the houses in my community. Am I wrong in thinking that?
Yes.
I'd say that is not the ideal way to look at it. The larger factors in window quality are not going to be a difference in resale value or even a HUGE difference in energy efficiency (at least not out of the box), but in the service life of the product. Lower end stuff generally needs more servicing and needs replacement starting around 10 years or so. Quality products will last 30+ years, and probably only be replaced at that time due to advances in technology, functionality, or aesthetic factors as opposed to product failure.