Full Wrap vs Partial Wrap

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
xmulderx

Full Wrap vs Partial Wrap

#1 Post by xmulderx »

Hello, I'm having my old original 30 year windows replaced with double hung vinyl windows. This is a pocket window installation from the exterior of the house (exterior stop will be removed, interior stop will remain).

The contractor and I discussed a partial wrap vs a full wrap and I did not come away with a good understanding what a partial wrap is.

What exactly is a partial wrap? Are there different ways to do a partial wrap? And what are the differences between a partial and full wrap?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Full Wrap vs Partial Wrap

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

He's probably referring to only covering where the exterior stops were, as opposed to covering the entire brickmould or 1x4 on the exterior. The advantages to the "full wrap" are less maintenance and protecting from future rot. The advantage to only wrapping the stops is maintaining the detail on the exterior if you have some really nice moulding. In my area historic homes are forbidden to get the trim wrapped when replacing windows. The amount of work wouldn't really be that much less in either method but you could save some material in doing a partial wrap but the cost savings probably wouldn't be significant if any.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

He is referring to an “ L-cap “. Some customers who have older homes and wider exterior window trim prefer to forgo aluminum capping. Capping is only done where the storm windows were removed/ old exterior stops were situated. Its purely based on personal preference and aesthetics.
Many consumers are under the impression that aluminum capping seals the window which is not true.
Sealants and insulation seal the window. Aluminum capping is meant to reduce maintenance/ painting.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with both comments above... I'd only add that this is the most common understanding of full vs partial, but we really have no idea exactly what your contractor may be speaking of. You could have a brickmold surrounded be cedar 1x4's and he could be referring to the bm only as "partial"... Only way to know for sure is to have them physically show you exactly what they are proposing.

xmulderx

#5 Post by xmulderx »

Thank you for the replies. What you all are describing makes sense.

The original wood windows have brick mold on the exterior with storm windows attached to the external stop.

I see now where the external stop area, after it is removed, would need to be covered by the wrap.

My discussion with the contractor came about when I mentioned to them that I may replace my old Masonite siding with Cement Board (Hardee Board) in a couple years. He mentioned that a full wrap would caulk against the current Masonite siding and when the siding contractor goes to remove the siding, the wrap would come off with it due to the caulking. This is when he suggested a partial wrap.

I think I also like the partial wrap as well, as that will help blend in with the color scheme better for the time being until I reside my house (trying to keep the white vinyl color in the window frame vs letting it roll out over the brick mold which is painted a different color as of now). The brick mold is in good condition.

On a partial wrap, I believe they will use aluminum to make this "l-cap" or partial cap and stop short of the brick mold. On a full wrap I could see where the caulking will blend well with the siding and aluminum since they are at a perpendicular when they come together. On the partial cap, won't the aluminum cap be just laying along the side of the window frame and it won't necessarily be flush with the window frame? Maybe it takes a really good caulk job to get that to blend in since the termination of the capping will be running parallel with the wood frame. It just seems that aluminum over time may want to pull away from the window frame on an "l-cap". (I may be over thinking this, it's probably done all the time).

Any suggestions on what to watch for on making sure the contractor gets a good airtight seal around the pocket window? I've told them I want non expansion spray insulation in the gaps and they intend to put a sealant between the new window and internal stop. Anything else?

Thank you all for the great explanations.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

One common denomonator i noticed is when a contractor is using a higher quality window brand, they usually do a good install. If someone cares about the quality of the window they offer, more often than not, they also care about the quality of their installation. This is something i noticed over the years.
I think some other others would concur with that assertion.