Replacement windows, new walls, old house

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
FarOutWest

Replacement windows, new walls, old house

#1 Post by FarOutWest »

We own a house built in 1967 and located in Fairfax County, Virginia. The house was not maintained as it should have been. Cheap windows were installed years ago, which I will replace. The wiring must also be replaced. I am considering simply adding new studs in each room to create a new wall, wiring new outlets, etc on these studs, then drywall when finished rather than gutting the walls. When completed I will have nearly a 10" wall. In my 20's (Carter was President!) I worked high rise construction as an elevator mechanic with an electrician's license, but I am not a carpenter or a window installer.

My question- can a window company build a window that will fit into this 10" space, and can a sill be built to either flush with the wall or extend past the wall an inch or so?
Any recommendations as to the type or brand of window that would work the best? Thank you.

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Replacement windows, new walls, old house

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

A lot of manufacturers have the ability to add jamb extensions which will fill this void. Usually the window itself is the same depth regardless then they add 3/4" thick jamb extender to fit whatever depth you need. ie. Vinyl windows are typically 3 1/4" depth then a jamb extension of 6 3/4" will get you 10". You could just as easily mount the window where needed on the exterior side of the wall and then use a paint/stain grade lumber to build your own.

FarOutWest

#3 Post by FarOutWest »

Thank you!

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

In Fairfax, I believe that you may be in the service area of Windows on Washington. If you are considering having the work professionally done, it would be worth your while to give them a call. Great company, and a prolific contributor to this site.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would think the easist way to do what you describe is to jamb out the opening top and two side then install the window. Or you could make up your own jamb and stool attach to the window, install the whole thing at one time.
If you wanted hard wood stools you could use oak stair tread, or have a millwork/lumber yard glue up 5/4 or 3/4, they could even rout edge and returns.