Okna Windows Questions-Thanks

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MACC

Okna Windows Questions-Thanks

#1 Post by MACC »

Greetings. I have been learning from this site for years and am finally looking at replacing my mostly DH windows in the North Central climate zone. Many thanks to all for taking the time to educate those of us willing to learn. I was hoping some of you could double-check my understanding of the various Okna models as I am sorting out their offerings and Soft-lite options. I want to make sure I have accurate information before conversing with dealers.

1.) Is it correct to describe the Okna 600 DH as looking exactly like the 500 with the exception of a different handle on the top sash with the only structural differences being the composite sash reinforcement and sill interlock on the 600? Any difference in glazings being used on the 500 and 600? I can’t make much out of the NFRC tables.

2.) When I look at the 800 outside frame I see a bevel and then a large round over before the flat section leading to the utility slot. On the 400, it’s clearly just the large bevel. On Okna’s website, the 500/600 have the large bevel and what looks like a small round over with an additional colonial aspect. However, the 500’s I have seen (possibly a 600 as well) in person just look like the bevel then a small round over with no additional feature. Was this an earlier design and the colonial feature something relatively new or vice versa, or am I just mixed up in the visual? I like it either way I interpret the visual, just curious.

3.) I take it Okna has 3 screen options: a base model half screen, an optional full screen with pull pins, and the “locking’ half screen with the nice latches similar to a storm door panel? Does the nice locking half screen always come with the “Deluxe” packages on the 500, 600, and 800? Any other things to consider on the screens? I must say it might be the most difficult aesthetic decision if going with Okna. I like full screens, but that half screen is really nice for second stories if you already have another window in the room to cross vent.

4.) What Okna models have laminate glass options available for the couple of windows where noise is the primary concern? Other that the additional $300-$400 charge, any negatives with any Okna model and laminate glass if available? Would the laminate glass look any different from the outside than double or triple pane deluxe offerings assuming you are in the same Okna model?

5.) I know the 500 and 800 have long track records, and I would be happy to have either in my home. Yet, the 600 really appeals to me. I just don’t see a lot of discussion on it, and some vagueness in what I do read. Is it just too new, jury still out, dealer restrictions, slot in line-up, etc.? In other words, any thing I should delve into further? Is it just like I’m thinking, a 500 with some structural features of the 800 and a few additional finish options?

I really appreciate the information. Sorry for the long questions, but the answers can be short. I hope to post some additional questions when deciding on the best glazings for specific openings. Thanks again.

Best,

Mac

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna Windows Questions-Thanks

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Here goes Mac.

1. Same glazing used in the different line windows. That sounds pretty close in terms of your assessment
2. 500 frame is slightly different from the 600/800 frame. Both will have the bezel of a sort. The 400 does not have the accessory groove and stay with the 500, 600, or 800.
3. Full screens are fine but they are a bit cumbersome until you have worked with them a bit and even still then. Most folks don't actually use the window in a capacity where they need a full screen and I would always steer folks to the half screen if I have my druthers.
4. You can order it in any of the models.
5. No reason to doubt the durability of the 600 based on its newness. Its merely an adaptation of the 500 - 800 hybrid that uses know components to create an additional line with some options.

The 800 is the flagship model so if you are doing it once, I tend to opt for that model and get it done with the best product that you can.

MACC

#3 Post by MACC »

Thanks so much WOW for the detailed response. I think you got me squared away. Much appreciated.

I do really like the 800, but I will have to see how the budget goes. I know some folks keep it and the 500 generally close in price. Others seem to go with the "base/premium" pricing and have a bit more of a gap. Maybe the 600 will be the sweet spot.

Best,

Mac

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like a plan. We used to be a mostly 500 dealer, but now sell more of the 800 than anything once you break down all the features.

Budgets do count and when you figure it and the cost differential, be sure to look at the lifetime cost differential. It might be a couple of bucks per month once you look at it and at that price, it is usually worth it.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

The Okna 600 has the same sash as the 800 but with a more narrow frame and they are the only okna offerings with the added structural features. Both the Okna 600 and 800 both have structural reinforcement bars as well as structural sill interlocks. The 600 also has an interlock in the header as well, making it a “ triple interlocking window”. I think the 800 might have that as well, i need to check my sample.
I am a big fan of the structural features on the 600 and 800, i happen to think they sometimes help more than the numbers actually divulge.
Both the 600 and 800 are very solid offerings and very good looking, you would be extremely happy with either one.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Good info from WoW above. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the new 1000 series as the top of the heap, however it (much like the 600) is not as widely available as the more established 800 and 500. Any of the products in question would serve you well.

On pricing, as you mentioned, that will vary by dealer. Some opt to create some distance between lines as they prefer one model over another, others simply apply a uniform markup which results in a pretty tight group. If the price is not a huge factor, I definitely recommend one of the higher end models.

MACC

#7 Post by MACC »

Thanks WOW, Mastertext, and Homesealed. I appreciate the information. I have a few other technical questions maybe best served by a new post. Would other details on my job like glazing options for unconditioned spaces and laminate glass questions need a new post or should I just keep it here?

Some other questions best served by PM, but I can't seem to message, probably because of my recent registration, post count, etc.

Best,

Mac

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I think the PM function is disabled....

As far as a new thread, it sounds like your questions are along the same lines and you aren't hijacking anyone else stuff so ask away

MACC

#9 Post by MACC »

Thanks Homesealed. It's looking like the Okna 600 or Soft-lite Imperial LS for us. I would be happy with either. I'm trying to decide the best way to allocate my budget on double-hung glazing decisions. We are mostly triple pane but might be adjusting down to double in some areas for savings and up to laminate/NRG in others for noise reduction.

First, would it be sensible to just use double pane in my finished/uninsulated garage, my unconditioned attic space, and my few ground level small basement windows (single pane prone to weather & debris)? I'm also thinking of stepping down to the 500 in these areas as well. Any reason to consider it differently? Also, I take it the "hopper" is the preferred or perhaps only option for these small basement windows. Why is this (no tracks, fewer meeting points, better sealing, larger vent, other)?

Second, I have 3 windows where noise is an issue that I am willing to spend to net any improvement. Two are on the same face of the home as the majority of the other windows with standard equidistant spacing, and the other is visually isolated. We have insulated double pane windows presently.

Is the Okna in triple pane any better at noise reduction than the double pane due to the larger size of the IG unit, or are we talking no difference, possibly worse? I know the air space and glass in the triple are equal units, and this might negate some benefit of the larger IG. I've also read that with some STC rated systems a lower number can sometimes be better at certain problem frequencies due to the STC only encompassing certain bands. Thus, I realize there is a lot of variability in each individual case. I'm just trying to figure out how you guys sort the glazing options for noise reduction and if laminate/NRG will offer any notable benefit. I certainly don't want to make things worse.

Will the laminate appear different in tint beside a triple pane on the same story of the home in equidistant spacing? I was thinking it would appear closer to a triple than a double. I don't think I see much difference between a triple and double unless they are really close together. Any rule of thumb you guys use to keep customers from getting an unexpected surprise when mixing glazings on the same facade/story. I can always do laminate on the entire second story for a more uniform aesthetic. It does get pricey though!

Again a long post, but short answers are great. I really appreciate all the feedback and varying opinions. It’s not like you can return these darn things! Many thanks.

Best,

Mac

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Laminate will have no visual difference.

While on paper, the triple pane shouldn't do any better with the sound, there seems to be a bunch of folks that indicate that it does.

MACC

#11 Post by MACC »

Thanks. I take it the triple does have a larger total airspace on the 600 series, which might bump it a bit over the double.

In regards to laminate, is there anything to be concerned about from a structural standpoint? Will the window last just as long and does it change the warranty in any way?

Best,

Mac

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not at all. Laminate is quite fine with the structure.

Just make sure your dealer specifies that the laminate lite is on the outer pane of glass.

Laminate seems to do better with the higher frequencies (i.e. talking) and the triple does better on the lower. That is just my anecdotal observations though.