Pella Impervia or Infinity by Marvin?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AndrewMT

Pella Impervia or Infinity by Marvin?

#1 Post by AndrewMT »

Hi all,

Hoping to get some input about which two window I should go with. I will be replacing 33 windows and the prices Pella and Marvin have given me are as follows:

Pella: $32,500

Marvin: $36,406

We quoted both with STC and laminated glass as we live close to a very busy road. From a design point of view Marvin looks better to us but is it worth the difference in cost?

HomeSealed

Re: Pella Impervia or Infinity by Marvin?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Marvin option is better in my opinion. The only thing I'd add is that if sound mitigation is a primary concern, you may want to consider looking at air infiltration ratings as well. Neither of those options are supremely air tight. Think about the difference that you here when your car door is closed but not fully latched... Just a thought.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good point about the STC HomeSealed.

Air Infiltration is often overlooked in these scenarios and definitely has a place in the considerations.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

HomeSealed wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:48 pm The Marvin option is better in my opinion. The only thing I'd add is that if sound mitigation is a primary concern, you may want to consider looking at air infiltration ratings as well. Neither of those options are supremely air tight. Think about the difference that you here when your car door is closed but not fully latched... Just a thought.
Excellent explanation homesealed ! That is a great example as to how a window with a low air infiltration rating can help with sound reduction. Too many contractors only focus on energy efficient glass and ignore air infiltration ratings.
If more consumers were aware of just how much a window with a higher air infiltration rating can mitigate the benefits of efficient glass, many window companies would have to completely redesign their product lines.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Great information, but of course I got questions.
What are air infiltration numbers for the Marvin and Pella and what are there STC ratings.
My understanding is that when they test the for STC ratings sound transmission through air infiltration is part of the testing procedure, therefore the STC rating would reflect this.
Comparing Andersen's Woodwright insert double hung which has an air infiltration rating of 0.01 and STC rating of 26 to the 100 series single hung which has an air infiltration rating of 0.10 and STC rating of 26 there is no difference in STC rating despite the air infiltration rating being 10 times as much. Does anyone know at what point the air infiltration rating of a window starts to reflect in the STC rating? I know it's makes a difference but at what point ?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

What Todd ??? You are claiming the andersen woodwright has an air infiltration rating of .01 ? That is terribly inaccurate, the andersen woodwright has a rather high air infiltration rating.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Yes that is what I am claiming. I suppose you know what it is then, or is rather high your official number?
Do you know Pella's or Marvin's?

masterext

#8 Post by masterext »

Yes, from what i remember, not 100% sure, but from what i was told it was .19 with pella being .22.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

Looking at Pella's website you seem to be misinformed or have a bad memory.
They show air infiltration at 0.10 and a STC of 26 with 2.5 mm glass. Did you happen to find you're air number for the Woodwright?
There seems to be a pattern that a double hung window will have an STC rating of 26 with 2.5 mm glass. Windows are tested in a manner that would take air leakage into account. Windows with ultra low air infiltration numbers seem to do no better than those with much higher numbers. I'd say yes air infiltration makes a difference but perhaps not so much so when the air numbers get below 0.3.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like the Integrity better.