Replacement windows chicago bungalow

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
boulders

Re: Replacement windows chicago bungalow

#16 Post by boulders »

Thanks again for the input, I think the windows that use are the Ulra U Plus range not the lowest rated one (passive U ), Im not sure if that the Ultra U Plus or the Ultra U Plus2 that they are said. I am going to ask for a quote on the Omega 12 glass for the from 11 windows though as those get a lot of sun and those rooms get very hot.

Thanks!

boulders

#17 Post by boulders »

The ratings for the Ultra 2 Plus is 0.29 and 0.28 (U factor / SHGC) the Plus2 is 0.25 / 0.28. The Omega 12 is 0.28 and the Omega12 2 is 0.24/0.21

Thinking about it Im pretty suree it was the Plus2 they said they used.

Thanks again, its really helpful for me!

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

If those ratings are accurate the Plus 2 at .25/.28 would have to be the surface 4 coating with the red flag for condensation. Ask you contact for the CR ratings that correspond to those, that will be telltale on that.

boulders

#19 Post by boulders »

On the specs it rates the plus at 57 for cr and 47 for the plus 2.

Windows on Washington

#20 Post by Windows on Washington »

Being in Chicago, you are definitely going to want a CR that is north of 50 at a minimum.

boulders

#21 Post by boulders »

I have had the quote back for the sunrise windows and for the Omega 12 and the Ultra-U Plus are the same price, I am assuming that I should go for the Omega as it seems to have better stats other than VT (0.49-0.53).

Neither of these packages have the LOW-E option, as they affect the CR rating

Omega 12 ratings:

U Factor: 0.28
SHGC: 0.21
VT 0.49
CR: 57

Ultra-U-Plus

U Factor: 0.29
SHGC: 0.28
VT 0.53
CR: 57

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

boulders, the ultra u plus is actually the more climate appropriate choice. You get the better VT, and the one point discrepancy in U value will be more than compensated for by that 7 point swing on the shgc in most cases. The low shgc profiles are for climates where you are cooling your home more than heating it. Up here, you want as much of that free heat while your furnace is running as you can get... Now certainly there are a bunch of other factors that can go into this if you want to truly optimize things from the facing direction of each window, landscaping, window treatment usage, etc, but the short and simple version is that with U values about the same you are better off with a higher SHGC.

boulders

#23 Post by boulders »

My thinking for the omega was that during the summer months our front room is unbearable so thinking that would help. The back of the house is fine in comarison during the summer. In the winter the room doesnt get as cold as the room does hot if that makes sense.

HomeSealed

#24 Post by HomeSealed »

It does make sense, although I'd offer two points in response:
1) the ultra-u will probably cut that summer heat factor more than you think and probably meet your expectations... I will stress probably though
2) The comfort level doesn't necessarily convert linearly to energy savings.

All that said, certainly comfort is one of the reasons to do this project in the first place, so if you have a few major offenders where the sun is truly unruly, it wouldn't be the worst thing to go with the darker glass on those.

boulders

#25 Post by boulders »

Thanks. I am with you that the ultra may do the job its really hard to know. At the moment in the front room we pretty much have the blinds and curtains drawn all year other than 2 open half for the cats to look outside, they are curtains are drawn in the winter to keep the cold out and the reverse in the sunmer so any of the windows will likely brighten the room up.
Its good to know and now I'm kind of leaning back to the Ultra.
Cheers

boulders

#26 Post by boulders »

Had 4 quotes, in the end the okna windows won and the they also came in at the cheapest quote!. 10 x 800 double hung series, 7 x 700 series and 6 x 500 double hung.

Thanks for the pointers!

TheWindowNerd

#27 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Every once in a while the best value is the cheapest.
The 800 DX and 700 DX are great.

boulders

#28 Post by boulders »

We needed the 800 as we needed a wood look interior to match the original trim,I am going to enquire how much it would cost to change the 500 to 800 but those are white/white and they are in a part of the house where we dont really ever open the windows so its probably overkill. The 500 seem to have pretty good specs.
The reason for the 700 is two of the rooms are classified as bedrooms and local code means the double hung didn't provide enough space for escape purposes. The other 700 are for the kitchen and bathroom and the wife preferred those
The company I went through were my favorites no hard sell and didnt annoy me at all.

Cheers

TheWindowNerd

#29 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We are not annoying. I do not understand why so many people put up with such bad treatment in the sales process.

We all have a budget to live within. If possible I always prefer the 800.

boulders

#30 Post by boulders »

My experience so far has been the big companies are a pain to work with and the smaller companies have been great. One of the national chains insisted there windows were the best and that's why the prices are higher, I said or it could be because as a huge chain you have bigger overheads which you pass onto me. Needless to say they didnt like me very much!