Replacement windows chicago bungalow

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
boulders

Replacement windows chicago bungalow

#1 Post by boulders »

Hi all, I just discovered the site yesterday. The wife has decided she has had enough of the noise from outside and wants to replace the windows on our 1929 brick bungalow.

We have the original windows and whilst they arent in too bad shape she wants new ones.

I have feldco coming coming to give an estimate but I already think I wont be going with them but its good to get a quote and start the ball rolling. I will be getting a few quotes.

We have 24 windows on the ground level so I'm not expecting it to be too cheap. We also need to replace our entry door (arched door).

Does anybody have any recommendations for chicago area companies that I should go to for quotes.

Ill post back after feldco come over when i have more of an idea the types of windows the wife likes.

Cheers

Mark

boulders

Re: Replacement windows chicago bungalow

#2 Post by boulders »

For 23 sash sofia windows the total came to 17k. That was with 2 for 1 deal.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Boulders, I don't have a dealer recommendation off the top of my head, however I can recommend looking at top performing products like Okna, Softlite Elements, Sunrise Restorations, Polaris Ultraweld, etc. Typically contractors that don't care about quality or good service won't spend the extra money to buy a higher performing product, so you'll likely find a solid company if they are carrying those. You can also look at BBB ratings, google reviews, etc for a good start. On product itself, check the performance ratings. U value, condensation resistance, SHGC, air leakage, and design pressure.

boulders

#4 Post by boulders »

Thanks. The problem I now have is the wife wants to go with feldco I think.. I am going to see if I can get a quote for the okna windows as they seem to be highly rated.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Research the items that I listed above. It might change her mind, but even if not, you will be more informed on this 5 figure investment. I'd look all that up regardless of which company(s) you consider.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mark,

"23 sash Sophia...." had me rolling. :lol:

I would only echo what HomeSealed said right there. There are some pretty darn good windows out there in the Chicagoland area and Feldco doesn't make that short list in my opinion.

Can't hurt to get a quote and take a peak at a competitive product.

boulders

#7 Post by boulders »

Yep I agree and I really dont think I want feldco. The salesman wasnt too pushy but did use the special 2 for 1 deal ends at the end of the month. With the windows working out at 7k it means the installation is 10k.
Im not really in a huge rush so am definitely going to look at other options. We are probably stayinf in our house 5 more years and I donr want the windows having problems when I'm looking to sell.

Either way is 17k considered an ok price? I thought it would be more so I'm not really looking to get a cheaper solution anywhere

Cheers

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depending on options and install, it certainly isn't out of the normal range.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Mid $700's per is within the normal range, but that is quality dependent as well. I'd say its high for a poor performer at any option level, but could be low for an excellent window with some added options and perhaps some complicating factors on the install. If say these are white/white, pocket installs with exterior cladding and lead safe install (assuming so given that its a bungalow), I'd say that you can likely get a better option for a similar price.

boulders

#10 Post by boulders »

Thanks, correct on the lead safe install. The windows were priced with the wood veneer look on the inside for 7 windows (its not a requirement but white/brown for these 7 would be better) but the rest were white/white. All of the window sill were all structurally fine so no extra cost there. We are going to take a look at a couple of show rooms tomorrow to look at other products so hopefully that will give us a better idea.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

You'd be well served to check a couple more options, good choice

boulders

#12 Post by boulders »

We went to a local window and door provider today and they had the sunrise standard windows. Whilst they dont have the restoration range available I quite like the options and the company. A rough estimate it would seem the cost would be around 14-15k, they are going to come over and give a quote next week. They offer the built in blinds in the windows I think and for a couple of the windows that would be useful. Are these internal blinds known to have problems or affect performance?

Cheers

WindowsDirectCinci

#13 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Sunrise is the only manufacturer that I'm aware o that has a lifetime warranty on the blind option. If you still want the performance they can do the window in a triple pane model that has one chamber with blind the other chamber would have argon/low-e or whatever performance glass you choose. With blinds and double pane they typically leave out the gas fill which can hinder performance.

boulders

#14 Post by boulders »

Thanks thats good to know. We really only want the built in blinds above our kitchen sink window as they are real dust magnets, we could probably manage without the extra efficiency for those windows (the front of our house gets hot the back is usially good). My only concern with the sunrise windows is they seem to have a lower r value for the window frame. I'm not sure if I should really be that concerned about that seeing as the house was built in 1929 and it doesnt really have any decent insulation in the walls anyway so that probably wont make a hige difference anyway. I think the rating was r7 for the sunrise standard windows. Does anybody have an opinion on that?

Cheers

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Delete that "R7" reference from you memory.
1) Window performance is measured in U value, not R value. Yes its the inverse, but I'd stick to the unit of measure that is rated
2) Total unit U value. This is the number certified by the NFRC and will come on the window label. This includes the entire unit (glass, frame, etc) tested together.

The only reason that other numbers are used (R value of frame, center of glass u value, etc) is to make it sound better than it really is or to mislead.

Sunrise makes a solid window. Their casements are very nice, and the double hungs are good. I do prefer the sash reinforcement on their double hungs, and I'd also be careful in choosing the glass package. Unless they've changed recently, their standard low e and argon double pane is not Energy Star rated (.27 u value for your northern location). What I've seen some dealers do is offer different glass packages that really are not meant for this climate in order to hit that mark, including surface 4 low e which destroys condensation resistance. My recommendation is to opt either for triple pane (ideal), or simply get the non-Energy Star standard glass.

Lastly, if you are looking for a dealer of a specific product, contacting the manufacturer for a reference generally works well... Speeds up the search, and you're likely to get a good company recommended as well.