Advantages/Disadvantages of Different External Casings

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
geoff

Advantages/Disadvantages of Different External Casings

#1 Post by geoff »

We've been presented with different options for external casings. We're replacing our existing casement windows that have 908 casings (why is it called this anyway). It appears that most of the existing cases are not rotted, even though they look bad. We're also planning on replacing the existing siding with vinyl clapboard at the same time. Here are the options:

1) Put almuminum coil over 908 casings, repairing any rot.

2) Build a new flat case using pine and cover in coil stock.

3) Order the window with a J-fin.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these approaches?

I've seen the J-fin and I'm not sure I like the look. Also I notice that the siding goes _behind_ the outside part of the J-fin. Because the way clapboard is "ridged" there are empty spaces behind the fin, creating areas where spiders and dirt can collect. My impression is that with 908 and flat casings the siding will go flush against the casing. Is this true?

Thanks for the help,
Geoff

geoff

Thanks--Any other advantages/disadvantages

#2 Post by geoff »

Thanks pellaman7,

That makes sense. We're planning on using Quest3 4" clapboard--some of it diagonal instead of horizontal. It makes sense what you're saying--the windows have to have some kind of receptor, whether built into the window or attached to an external casing (presumably this is the from the same manufacturer as the siding). I imagine the same would also hold true for trim on the corners of the house and on the bottom and top, no?

I think I still would like the look of the 908 casing. We don't have detailed quotes, but perhaps the advantage of the extruded j-fin on the window is price--nominal increase over the nail fin approach, but reduced labor for installation since the 908 casing would not have to be covered in coil. You said, "Either you will have one behind the extruded fin provided to you by the window, or if you chose not to use that one (which I would avoid), you will still need a vinyl j-channel to receive the siding." Why would you avoid this approach? Any other pros/cons?

Thanks again,
Geoff

Mass. window guy

#3 Post by Mass. window guy »

Hi Geoff,

If you choose a company that is good with a brake, you can do an aluminum casing that has the "j-channel" built in to the window casing. It is a seamless look that allows the siding to almost disappear behind the window trim. It looks great and seals moisture out without the use of alot of caulk. It takes a little more time to brake but makes for a beautiful job.
If interested, I can post a picture for you to see.
What siding products are you considering?

Mass. window guy

#4 Post by Mass. window guy »

oops...I just read your post again and it says Quest 3.
sorry

geoff

What's a Brake?

#5 Post by geoff »

Sorry, Mass. Window Guy, but I didn't understand your comment. My ignorance is showing. I don't understand what a "brake" is and why it's not applicable to Quest3.

We haven't signed anything yet, it's just that what we've seen so far, the Quest3 seems like a nice product and it comes in our preferred color--redwood.

Geoff

P.S. We've pretty much eliminated Thermal Industries windows (saw them today in showroom and didn't like the aesthetics--cancelled follow-up appontment), and Sunrise (closest factory rep is 6 hours away in NJ). Had one other guy out today that sells a variation on the Harveys called "Comfort Plus" which has some minor additional options--a bit more expensive--he caries Alside for 12% premium over Harveys. We're going to have gander tomorrow at the Marvin Infinity at the showroom.

Mass. window guy

#6 Post by Mass. window guy »

A brake is the machine that bends the aluminum that is installed on various parts of your home. Virtually every vinyl siding job has aluminum coil installed at some point on a home.
The other thing I would be careful with is siding colors. I don't deal with Quest 3 and am not familiar with the colors, but is this color a darker shade of red? I would be very careful with that color. The reds, blues and dark greens can be a problem with fading and warping (the dark colors absorb more heat).
I will try to get you a picture to see what I suggested to you for the casing with j-channel built in to it.

geoff

#7 Post by geoff »

Thanks again everyone.

Pellaman7--OK, I'll avoid the manufactured window J-channel.

Mass. Window Guy--Thanks for the info. I learn something every day. Yes, the Quest3 Redwood is a darker shade. Pictures would be great. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Geoff

Mass. window guy

#8 Post by Mass. window guy »

Geoff,

If you send me your e-mail address to me at
jtags@thisonline.com
I would be happy to e-mail you a couple of pictures.