Quote advice-Berkshire Elite, Provia, Soft-lite

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kdisterh

Quote advice-Berkshire Elite, Provia, Soft-lite

#1 Post by kdisterh »

Hello, I am hoping for some advice on these 3 quotes for 24 double hung windows + 3 picture windows for a total of 27 windows. I currently have 25 year old single pane windows. My top priority is reducing air infiltration and plan to be in the home for ~10 years or more and I live in Kansas.

Revere Berkshire Elite triple pane (similar to an Alside Mezzo but better) - $14.6k
.04 air infiltration
.21 u
.26 solar
.45 VT
steel spacer (upgraded foam spacer is an additional $1728. Is a foam spacer really necessary with a triple pane unit as there is no direct contact between inside glass and outside glass? It DOES seem necessary for a double pane.)

ProVia Endure triple pane - $21k - Double pane $16k
.05 air infiltration
.19 u (.27 double pane)
.18 solar (.21 double pane)
.35 VT (too dark?)
foam spacer

Soft-lite Elements triple pane - $24k - (I'm waiting on double pane quote)
.01 air infiltration (best you can get)
.19 u
.24 solar
.4 VT
foam spacer

By the performance numbers and internet reviews, the soft-lite seems like my dream window but is very costly. It doesn't seem to be that much better than the Berkshire by the numbers. I could take that ~8k difference and use that to get my siding painted and wood rot fixed. What are your thoughts?

Randy

Re: Quote advice-Berkshire Elite, Provia, Soft-lite

#2 Post by Randy »

Revere Berkshire is made by Alside and it isn’t any better than Mezzo. The only reason the AL rating gets that low is by using stick on pads at the corners, and the reinforcement is a joke. In a windy state like Kansas, choosing a window that’s as air-tight as possible is important. I seriously doubt their AL rating will remain that low over time as the pads fall off. It’s not a window that any of the pros here would ever recommend. Their stainless steel spacer has a poor reputation for failure, so it is a worth upgrade if you go that route.

I have no experience with the ProVia, although some of the pros here consider it to be a worthy option.

Soft-lite's Elements line is stellar, and in the elite category of vinyl windows. If you plan to stay in the home for 10 years or more, it would be the best choice.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

No comparison between the book ends in this case.

The SF runs laps around one in terms of performance and has a much more proven track record than both.

If we use your timetable as stated before, you are paying a premium of about $2.25 per day over the Berkshire and $0.83 over the Provia.

I know it has gotten better, but I still think that is a flawed comparison between the 1st and 3rd choices.

Have you discussed this with the SF salesperson?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

The berkshire and mezzo are the same window. As Randy stated, the only reason they boast a lower air number is because they load the corners with fuzz pads, aka “cheat pads”. If a window is designed to withstand drafts, it would not require those unsightly pads than can invariable come off since they are just glued on to the corners.
None of the higher end offerings utilize those pads.
If you want to laugh, ask the alside salesman what the foam insulation or reinforcement look like, its a joke that they even get away with what they do in my opinion.
The Soft Lite is a much smarter investment.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Soft-Lite Elements is the best of the bunch for sure. It also features the nicest sill and is the best looking. I think that the Endure becomes the best value though. It's default glass package many times is DLA-UV double or triple-glazed. Have the dealer take the UV off unless you need the added solar protection from too much UV exposure. This will give you a higher SGHC in the mid to upper 20's and not be so dark. The glass is virtually the same with both the Elements and Endure (Edgetech Super Spacer). Both have much thicker vinyl wall thickness .080" over anything Alside makes.

Keep in mind that whatever dealer's installation resume is stronger regarding these two windows is a huge factor.

kdisterh

#6 Post by kdisterh »

Thanks guys. That +9k difference is a tough pill to swallow but I will think on it more. It is no argument that it is a better window, but mighty costly. The soft-lite sales rep started at 39k and then got down to 24k and may get a little bit lower after talking to the company owner but I'm still waiting to hear on that number. I haven't heard the double pane quote yet either but would you consider double pane still a great choice for the soft-lite over the Berkshire? Everyone I hear from seems to think triple pane is an extremely rare install, and likely overkill option for Kansas.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Soft lite in double pane is still a much better option.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

I’d second Mike's suggestions.

kdisterh

#9 Post by kdisterh »

Update: The soft-lite sales rep got back to me with the double pane price. $20.7k so still over 6k more expensive than the mezzo for similar thermal numbers (on the edge of energy star requirements for ufactor and shgc). If you guys say the overall construction is better and will last longer then so be it! :)

$20.7k double pane
.26 u
.28 solar
.51 VT
.01 air (same as triple pane)

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you were to see the units side by side and torn apart, you would probably agree that there is a 35% premium in the Soft-Lite unit construction.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

I don’t think you would see a 35% difference between the Pro-Via and Soft-Lite.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 35% spread is between the Berkshire and the Soft-Lite. Delta between the Provia and the Soft-lite is closer to 15%.

masterext

#13 Post by masterext »

Personally, i think provia make a great door. I think soft lite make a better window and its put together more nicely.