Quote Too High? Starmark by OKNA

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mary_in_wisconsin

Quote Too High? Starmark by OKNA

#1 Post by mary_in_wisconsin »

I just got a quote for Starmark (by OKNA) windows. From what I have read here and on other forums, these are great windows and it should be expected that they cost more than standard vinyl. However the price the dealer offered me is over $2000 per window. Is that normal?

We have two large windows at the front of our house, 71" wide x 61" high, that are currently made up of a fixed pane with two casements on either side. We would like those replaced with 2 double hung windows each. Downstairs we have two more of the same style, fixed pane and 2 casements, that are 71" wide x 35" high. Those would be replaced with a single 2-lite slider each.
  • 71x61 = 2 DH
    71x61 = 2 DH
    71x35 = 1 Slider
    71x35 = 1 Slider
The replacement windows stats (according to their brochure*) are:
  • Starmark by OKNA
    Cellular PVC composite construction
    Triple Pane with HeatSeal(tm) reflective coating
    Kripton gas
    No Grid
    Half Screens - ThruVison PLUS (R)
    *U-Value = 0.16 DH, 0.16 Slider
    *SHGC = 0.24 DH, 0.25 Slider
    *VT = 0.40 DH, 0.41 Slider
    *CR = 76 DH, 77 Slider
We have no lead paint or other unusual site conditions. The total for 6 windows (after "special" discounts) is $12,814 installed. The base number without the discounts was over $16,000.

Is this too high? It feels too high. He said they could add 2 more 32x52 DH windows for the bedrooms, and that would take the cost back over $16,000. That is $4,000 for 2 additional windows! At the discount rate! Especially assuming that any base costs were already included in the $12,814. That right there was a red flag. Am I wrong??

We would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Quote Too High? Starmark by OKNA

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You are asking a tough question.
Every dealer has there own modeling for doing business. Some are sales driven others are install driven, and everywhere in between.
If you do not think you are getting the value that you want continue to look or negotiate.

theWindowNerd

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Keep in mind you are getting Triple pane with krypton gas, you wont find a more efficient window. Krypton is very expensive.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

I would price it with out the Kryton gas, not enough gain for the cost.
Price sounds high but the installation details are lacking.

mary_in_wisconsin

#5 Post by mary_in_wisconsin »

It is a pocket installation with 'NoMar' aluminum coil on the exterior. White inside and out. The existing windows are the 26 yr old woodframe originals. No lead paint. They use their own installers, no subcontractors.

I'm happy to provide any other info you need.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Krypton is egregiously expensive. Can they quote you a triple pane, argon variant?

uncle eddie

#7 Post by uncle eddie »

Get argon. You could also ask for a quote on the 800 series. It actually outperforms the Starmak in most areas

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

mary_in_wisconsin wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:19 am It is a pocket installation with 'NoMar' aluminum coil on the exterior. White inside and out. The existing windows are the 26 yr old woodframe originals. No lead paint. They use their own installers, no subcontractors.

I'm happy to provide any other info you need.
Mary,

Whereabouts in WI are you located? If you haven't tried contacting HomeSealed, you won't find a better guy in Packerland to take care of your home.