Berkshire elite vs. Okna 800

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Mattryan888

Berkshire elite vs. Okna 800

#1 Post by Mattryan888 »

Been reading through this forum quite a bit. Just received an okna quote today and have had a berkshire elite quote for a couple of weeks. These windows will replace wood windows installed in 1991 (when the house was built). Was taken aback by the okna quote (500 vs 800 was less than a $1k difference posting 800 details only). Details below:

Berkshire elite - $16,191

U - 0.29
Shgc - 0.3
VT - 0.54
Cr - 55
Air - 0.04

Okna 800 - $28,922

U - 0.26
Shgc - 0.29
VT - 0.44
Cr - 62
Air - 0.04
Cr

Why is there a $12K premium on the Okna windows and is it worth the $12K? If so why? Which of the numbers above is the most important in your opinion? Just a guy looking for advice on replacing windows which is admittedly confusingly daunting.

toddinmn

Re: Berkshire elite vs. Okna 800

#2 Post by toddinmn »

The difference is mostly profit margin IMO.
The 800 is nicer for sure, 75% more, not so sure.
I’d get a few more bids perhaps.
Are the install details the same? Both reputable company’s?

Mattryan888

#3 Post by Mattryan888 »

Both companies get high ratings and both have lifetime warranties that read the same coverage in my non-lawyer mind. :lol: Any recommendations from a professional perspective on comparable windows to seek quotes for?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Are you near any of the pros who post on here? Try one of them.
How many windows, what specifications?
For sure the 800DX is the best. You might look for Vytex Potomic, Soft-lite Imp LS( now owned by Harvey), Sunrise Verde or Restoration.

theWindownerd.com

Mattryan888

#5 Post by Mattryan888 »

There are either 29 or 31 windows depending how double casement is counted. Breakdown is as follows; 12 casement (8 single casement 2 double casement), 3 picture, 1 3 slider 1/4-1/2-1/4, 12 double hung, 2 circle top, and 1 slider. The higher quote is from one of the forum member's companies which is why the price is very surpring. I will look into those other windows. Was hoping for a price match but the salesman was not interested in going down that route.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

A twin casement is considered 2 windows. Many customers assume its one window but its 2 windows mulled together.
A triple casement would then be considered 3 windows for pricing purposes.
What state is your home located in?

Mattryan888

#7 Post by Mattryan888 »

We are in Northern Virginia.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

From the back seat it looks like one price is to high the other to low.
It is difficult to make a good assessment with out all specs and a site visit. The 800DX is a far better window, if you agree and like that one then try to negotiate a total package value.
By the way I think the AI on the 800 is .01.

theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Hard to say on the price without all of the details (installation type, product options, etc), but it doesn't seem outside of the normal range. The 800dx is an excellent window that is engineered with one goal, and that is top tier performance. The other choice is more of a price point option. There are worse windows to be sure, but these two products are not intended to compete with one another.
I disagree with the sentiments that the price spread is primarily profit based. Most times the pricing is dictated largely by overhead costs, and net profit typically falls within the same range from one company to the next. Sometimes the cheaper, smaller guy actually makes even more on a percentage basis.

Being that you are in VA, if that Okna quote is not from Windows on Washington, you should really reach out to them. Superb organization. If that quote is from them, the price difference is definitely justified. Slam dunk in that case.

uncle eddie

#10 Post by uncle eddie »

sounds about right

Mattryan888

#11 Post by Mattryan888 »

Alright making the final decision on this soon. One last question for the pro's. What makes the okna 800 a top tier window and does the 700 series (casements) also fall into that category? Still back and forth because the nfrc numbers are essentially now the same and both Windows are AAMA gold windows. This is really a daunting process for consumers. FYI, price difference is now in the $4k range versus previous $12K range.

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Envirostar 800 series features one of the most advanced engineered top sash to head cavity "anti-drift" systems that I've come across. The top sash features two recessed grooves that lock into catches in the head cavity along with multiple weatherstripping profiles. If feels and sounds like no other window in the industry when one takes the top sash up and down to lock into the fully seated position. Why this is important would be one of the things many vinyl windows can have happen incidentally since would be lock and keeper misalignment due to the top sash drifting from operation of the bottoms sash. Lots of weatherstripping and tighter tolerances of many of these newer vinyl windows these days, that means lots of rubbing.

The 800 is a very modern and sleek looking window featuring sculptured metal lift handles instead of "me too" lift rails. The wall thickness and weight of the frame is very impressive with the 800 compared to lower grade offerings, yet it isn't bulky in regard to the frame profile and visible glass. The satin finish black Duralite spacer looks super nice when one looks up closely to the glass package. The exterior frame with it's crown molding profile is pretty elegant for a vinyl window and even the glazing beads that finish the tie in of the glass to the sashes have a round over stepped profile with coped joints. A lot of love went into the engineering this window which is why it's held in suck high esteem from many dealers and homeowners.

I just laid it on pretty thick after a hot day in the sun so please forgive me.

Mattryan888

#13 Post by Mattryan888 »

That is an awesome window assessment for someone like me that does tons of research and can't really figure out other than nfrc ratings and AAMA gold ratings how to figure out what the real differences are. I appreciate the insight.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

Yes, the Okna 700 is generally held in the same esteem as the 800.
As far as choices, again, there is really not a competition here. As someone who has installed many, many different window products, I can say that when examining and/or installing an 800 series, one can see why it gets elite level performance ratings. When examining and/or installing the other option, one wonders how in the world it achieved anything in the same stratosphere.... I understand that there is a sizable price difference here that is very tempting, but even with no background in the industry, I'd expect that you can see and feel a perceptible difference in quality as well. Don't fall for fool's gold here.
I'd be remiss if I didn't circle back on the installation aspect as well. Do some vetting on each dealer: history, reputation, etc. Frankly, the quality of the product that they carry should be pretty indicative of that as well.

cellendril

#15 Post by cellendril »

@Mattryan888 - also in NoVA. With whom did you go?