selecting two double hung vinyl windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
musiclvr56

selecting two double hung vinyl windows

#1 Post by musiclvr56 »

Spending too much time researching this. Size 30 3/4 x 40 3/8". Is this considered a large window? If so, a single hung window is not recommended. Price from a company for two Harvey classic windows-$1,150, including carpentry, removing and disposing of windows, etc. I think the windows are about $250 each so it is $650 for labor It wasn't noted on the estimate how many hours of labor, but I asked for this tonight.

I looked into Pella windows but there were too many complaints, including filings with Consumer Affairs and Better Business Bureau. If I bought the windows myself, I would need an installer. I know just as important as purchasing a good window is having a good installer so I might be better off getting it from the company who has reputable installers for the $1,150.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: selecting two double hung vinyl windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Harvey isn't a bad window by any stretch, but if you can get a Harvey, you should be able to get a Soft-Lite.

Where is the project located in terms of region of the country.

musiclvr56

#3 Post by musiclvr56 »

I am in Massachusetts. As you probably know only contractors can buy Harvey windows. I never heard of Soft-Lite. I learned about another window manufacturer Alside but didn't read very good reviews about it.

musiclvr56

#4 Post by musiclvr56 »

I just read that Soft-Lite was acquired by Harvey.

musiclvr56

#5 Post by musiclvr56 »

It would take the company who gave me an estimate three hours of labor. $650 divided by three hours is $216 an hour-sounds crazy to me!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Who said it was going to take 3 hours?

For the record, labor numbers on contracts are often unrepresentative of the actual cost of the project. Are you figuring on consumables in that labor number as well?

musiclvr56

#7 Post by musiclvr56 »

Yes. I believe the two windows would cost a total of $500. The cost of the project was quoted as $1150 and was told it would take three hours (this is from a very reputable window and roofing company). Again, $215 for three hours I think is unreasonable, but maybe I don't know the market.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

I cannot comment with any degree of surety on what and how they arrive at that number. Is there profit in that number? Do they include the consumables in that number? What is workman's comp in that market? What other sort of legal and governmental fees are required in that market? Are they doing Lead Safe RRP? How man people are schedule for that work as most crews are a minimum of 2 man crews?

If it is 2 carpenter grade contractors, 2*3 hours (i.e. 6 man hours) is not expensive at $500 (i.e. $85 per hour).

musiclvr56

#9 Post by musiclvr56 »

Only one carpenter on the job.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Musiclvr, trying to deconstruct the price of a project is almost always an exercise in futility. There are far too many variables as WoW alluded to. Based on the numbers given it sounds to me like they are offering the windows with little markup, so all of the overhead and profit is grouped with "labor". The best thing to do is get another quote or two if you think that one is high, and try to group companies of similar size, history, reputation. That will often have a profound effect on pricing discrepancies.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

The price i s not bad For such a small Job. Don’t forget about material cost besides the window, drive time , time to measure, inventory, schedule, unforeseen problems ,dealing with crazy homeowners, ect.
I would either get more bids, have Someone put it in for a case of beer or do it yourself.