13 windows and sliding door to replace in DFW

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Windows on Washington

Re: 13 windows and sliding door to replace in DFW

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

Either cut open or look at the build data sheet on them.

Delaware Mike

#17 Post by Delaware Mike »

I hope you realize that a Sunrise product with reinforcement will still bow, warp, or frown from excessive heat. Perhaps not out of a tolerance range that would make the window leak air or become too hard to lock. I had to stop keeping my Sunrise Vanguard samples in the back bed of my Toyota Tacoma that has a cap on it due to sash warping. It's the only vinyl window sample that every did this to me.

Wider vinyl extrusion sash and master frame profiles that start to exceed 34" to 36"+ have enough manufacturing issues keeping 100% level and true without being such low-profile and made at a thinner wall mill thickness. There is a tolerance in the meeting rail sash extrusion for the fiberglass reinforcement to slip into at the factory. If overexposed to too much heat, the sash can potentially bow/smile upwards even with the reinforcement which is visible to the naked eye. This has happened on the bottom sashes of my hand sample displays. Keep in mind, those temps in the back of the bed area with cap probably approach about 125-145 degrees in the summer hear in NJ.

I'm not trying to throw fire on gasoline in regard to one's window shopping and research. I've installed thousands of Sunrise Vanguards unit over the last 15-years in my area and I get virtually no service calls on them even though I'm not really installing them these days. I still like the product very much. I would hate to have a homeowner in a high heat exposure environment with a 40" wide DH from any manufacturer string line or string edge the top of his bottom sash and be able to slip some small feeler gauge fingers under the middle and go crazy thinking the reinforcement isn't going to work.

bhargrave88

#18 Post by bhargrave88 »

Just met with the contractor last night and when he negotiated with sunrise the vanguard windows he said that he wanted the reinforcement and the insulation put inside of the windows.

When I brought it up to him he went and got a vanguard single hung and cracked it open and sure enough there was the fiberglass reinforcement as well as insulation. I am not to worried about the insulation but knowing it has the fiberglass reinforcement it makes be feel better.

I know that man made products are not indestructible or going to hold up to everything, but wouldn't anyone want the extra stability in their window? I know that the vinyl windows are going to flex, and move due to heat, just how it works. If I thought that it wouldn't hold up then I would be spending more money and going a different route. I appreciate the information you provided and glad you provided clarity as to where these were kept when they did warp. I do have confidence that it will stay within tolerance that the air infiltration will not increase enough to be the same as our old aluminum builder grade windows.

I just wanted to make sure I was getting what I was being told.

jenny55

#19 Post by jenny55 »

I would highly recommend not going with home depot or lowes. I found their prices were high for the low quality of the windows. You want a company that has a quality product so you don't have to buy windows for a long time.