13 windows and sliding door to replace in DFW

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bhargrave88

13 windows and sliding door to replace in DFW

#1 Post by bhargrave88 »

We are needing to replace 13 windows in my house, 5 of them form a bay window and then there is also a sliding glass door that needs to be replaced as well.

We have looked at the bigger names and then found this site and saw names of manufactures that are new to me.

After reading some posts about replacing windows in TX I know randy is full of info.

Right now we are leaning towards Burris windows which is out of Carrollton Tx, and we got a quote of 7k to replace all 13 and the sliding glass door.

Now we are looking at Sunrise, Soft-lite, okna, and NT. How will burris compare to these and has anyone used burris?
Are there any other manufactures we need to consider?

We were going to use a private contractor to install the burris windows, does anyone else know of some good contractors here in the dallas area?

Lastly, this is not our forever home and our plan is to build a house starting in about 7 years. Not sure going with a super high quality is worth it when we are only there for a 7 more years. Should we stick with Vinyl or look at other solutions like fiber or aluminum clad or wood?

Please if there is any other info anyone has for me that would be great! So many to choose from make this decision challenging, I want to know as much as I can before making the final decision.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Randy

Re: 13 windows and sliding door to replace in DFW

#2 Post by Randy »

Burris is a decent choice for a mid-grade vinyl window, as is NT. If you like the Burris window, and you feel confident in the installer, I’d go for it. As you know, it’s not a premium grade vinyl window, but it should suffice for 7 years.

Sorry, I can’t recommend any contractors in the DFW area. Best wishes to you!

bhargrave88

#3 Post by bhargrave88 »

Thanks Randy!

Are there any other mid grade windows that we should look at before saying yes to burris?

Do I need to worry that it is not going to last longer than 7?

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

I would at least consider NT (Presidential, Traditions, Energy Master) before going with Burris.

When it comes to how long a vinyl window lasts, it gets tricky. The windows will still be functional well past 7 years. They are likely to have warpage and bowing however, and that will increase the Air Leakage rating. If the windows bow too much, it could make opening, closing and tilting the sashes a bit more difficult.

bhargrave88

#5 Post by bhargrave88 »

Thanks again Randy! I have reached out to NT hopefully they can get me a dealer in this area and see what they are going to run.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

Great, let us know how it goes.

bhargrave88

#7 Post by bhargrave88 »

We talked to a contractor last night about sunrise and ended up signing the contract for all 11 windows and sliding glass door to be replaced. The sliding glass door will be from Provia but all windows are from sunrise.

Project should be done by the end of September. Thanks again Randy!

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Glad to hear you found a contractor and a product that you feel fits your needs and your budget. Let us know how it turns out!

bhargrave88

#9 Post by bhargrave88 »

The model we got was vanguard, I know sunrise have multiple different models.

What is the difference between them? I see Vanguard and Restoration are very similar but I cant find the difference between them, the both have reinforcement. It says on the brochure that the reinforcement on the vanguard is on double hung, we got single hung, will the single hung have that reinforcement as well?

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

Unfortunately, Sunrise does not offer reinforcement in their single hung window. How much more was the Vanguard double hung?

Vanguard and Restoration are very similar. The Restoration has a little more foam filling and the locks are different.

bhargrave88

#11 Post by bhargrave88 »

Interesting, I talked to the rep/contractor and he told me that the single hung's are reinforced.

As far as the price difference I am not sure, I just told him we were wanting to do single hung's.

Do I need to worry about the reinforcement? I do have 2 windows that during the summer get a brunt of the heat. The sun is on those 2 windows from 10 am till just about sun down.

Looking at the pamphlet it does say that the double hung are the only windows to have the reinforcement. I guess I assumed since they did not have a section describing what the single hung had it was the same features as the double hung.

bhargrave88

#12 Post by bhargrave88 »

I just went over the contractors survey sheet he fills out and it also has the options on it that he has ordered.

Vanguard Fiberglass and Vinyl hybrid replacement windows
Triple Fin weatherstripping
Polyurethane insulation of R7.14 per inch.

Is the fiberglass and vinyl hybrid talking about the reinforcement?
I have noticed that both the restoration and the option he checked gives the same r value of poly insulation and triple fin weatherstripping on the vanguard series.

Also getting the Omega 12 glass with NRG.

Randy

#13 Post by Randy »

I always recommend reinforcement in vinyl windows since the heat can be brutal in Texas, causing vinyl to deflect. The larger the window and the more direct sun hitting the window, the more critical reinforcement is.

This wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard of a Sunrise dealer in Texas selling a window that isn’t as advertised. I don’t know your contractor, but unless Sunrise has modified the options on the single hung in the past 6 months, reinforcement is not even an option that can be added.

bhargrave88

#14 Post by bhargrave88 »

Just spoke with sunrise and they confirmed and no single hung windows get that reinforcement.

Now I am not sure how to go about this, we need to get pricing on double hung's and up to this point I felt like this contractor was being up front and was very knowledgeable. We already signed a contract, and gave half down...

Randy

#15 Post by Randy »

I’ve run across the same issue here in the Houston market, where homeowners were told that they would get reinforced single hungs. The problem is that there is no way for the consumer to verify that the vinyl has reinforcement inside without cutting the window open.

It may be that your contractor doesn’t understand that it’s not an option (giving him the benefit of the doubt) and he will appreciate knowing the truth from now on. In which case, he should be willing to upgrade you to the Vanguard double hung at minimal additional cost. If he is not willing, than I would cancel the contract and start the search again. Always best to go with a window that is reinforced automatically rather than as an option. That way you can be sure you have it.