10' Bay Window Cost and Quality...

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
burrmanchu

10' Bay Window Cost and Quality...

#1 Post by burrmanchu »

Hey guys... new here. I'm a DIY guy and I'm remodeling my *entire* house. I'm good with electrical, plumbing, roofing, flooring, carpentry, pretty much everything... but I have no experience whatsoever with windows, and I'm trying to get a 10' bay window installed in my living room to replace an old picture window and flankers.

I've gotten a half dozen estimates, ranging from $4600 to $14000 (lol). There's no way I can afford the higher end stuff. I was about to pull the trigger on one of the lower estimates, but I wanted to ask you guys what you thought about that price range, and the types of windows involved.

The two brands/series of window I'm down to are:

Vinyl Kraft (Trustguard series) U .28 - SHGC .27 - V 71% - CRF 56
http://www.vinylkraft.com/Trust_Guard.cfm

and Energywall (Energyweld series, elite2 glass package) U .27 - SHGC .29 - V 53% - CRF 56
https://energywallwindows.com/ewwindow.html

Are these windows decent? Is one noticably better? I believe the VK window is 7/8" glass and EW is 3/4"... is that a big deal? Is this (nearly) $5,000 price I'm getting quoted normal? Seems like highway robbery. And what's with the huge difference in V rating between the two otherwise very similar windows? Thanks for any help in advance, I know a lot of these window brands are obscure.

I live in Illinois so it's hot and cold here.

Thanks guys!~
Brian

Windows on Washington

Re: 10' Bay Window Cost and Quality...

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

EnergyWall is a re-branded Polaris UltraWeld with some additional options if I am not mistaken.

If memory serves me correctly and that is the case, that is your much better option. It is a solidly built window and product.

Triple pane probably wouldn't be overkill in your market if you get a decent number on it.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The Energy Wall is a Polaris window with a few added options. Good window. Can't say the same about the other option.

In terms of pricing, window quality will be an aspect of that, but pricing is far more dependent on the size and business model of the company that is installing it than anything else. A guy that works out of his house and does all sales and installation has very little overhead and can offer much cheaper prices than the guy with a showroom and full staff for sales, production, service, etc. Kinda like buying a mattress from a reputable chain store, vs the pop up store on the seedy side of town. You can get a great product and install either way, but one is more likely than the other, as is service when you need it down the road.

WindowsDirectCinci

#4 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I'm very familiar with both. Polaris (Energy wall) has an excellent bay and definitely the better window. Vinyl kraft is used in my market by 3 different $189 companies. So that should be a pretty big indicator of quality and there is no way id skimp out in a bay window because of how much they are to replace and the potential for leaks, sagging, etc. Do you have a 10' picture window now? or are they enlarging the opening?

burrmanchu

#5 Post by burrmanchu »

Wow thanks for the replies! You guys are awesome. I'm surprised that people are familiar with the brands. Sounds like it's an easy decision.

@Windowsdirectcinci - it's currently a picture window with a couple flankers in a roughly 10' openings. They don't have to enlarge it.

Anyone have any idea why the V rating is so much lower on the Energyweld? (Not a big deal, just curious).

WindowsDirectCinci

#6 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I have a vinyl kraft brochure in my office and I'll double check when I get back. But I do know they are a little misleading with there ratings. They frequently quote the glass rating instead of the whole window rating which is really all anyone should be concerned with. The Energy wall is the whole window VT rating and u value .....the vinyl kraft use the glass ratings which does not include the frame and can lead you to believe they are better than they are. I'd verify which ratings they are quoting you. A local competitor touts there window as R-10. Thats the glass, the whole window is like a 3.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Energy wall has a slightly different sash than ultraweld as well as a duel tech lock.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the feedback from WDC. A VT in around 50 is pretty solid for a standard double pane glass package with Low e. That Vinyl Kraft rating is likely incorrect. VT and shgc have some correlation in most cases, where additional coats of low e (used in warmer climates or in triple pane) will lower the shgc and VT both. The other factor for VT would be things like grids, frame thickness, etc (things that will allow less light), but again, not nearly to that much of a discrepancy.

burrmanchu

#9 Post by burrmanchu »

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.