Marvin Integrity or Andersen 100 casements

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: Marvin Integrity or Andersen 100 casements

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

Sorry if I offended you Todd, just sharing my opinion and some basis for it. We don't have to agree on EVERYTHING! :mrgreen:

As far as your questions on my pictures, what do you mean that the sill seems odd? The pictures are flipped 90*, maybe that's why it looks weird? I realize that Andersen 400's are extremely common, but so are alside excaliburs. Not sure that there is a correlation with quality there. There were several seal failures in that particular home as well and some stripped out hardware as well from the sagging casement sashes.

As for the RBA unit, no need to test RH. Obviously they had condensation to cause that damage, so verifying that the RH in their home was too high for the exterior temperature at some points causing that issue is "uncovering" information that is already known. The point IMO is how the product failed under those conditions. You could say perhaps they had EXCESSIVE condensation due to an excessively high rh, but I found no evidence of that. Typical 80's colonial. Not super tight. No Aprilaire or anything like that. Had an infant, no other kids or pets. Opened window treatments during the day. We replaced them in winter and there was some condensation but nothing terrible. I cannot say for sure what the conditions were prior to that, but I made and educated assumption based on current conditions and the reports of the homeowners.

On Marvin, I'm sure that they have failure issues as well, although I rarely see any around here. Can't say that we ever see them coming out of homes in doing 600-700 replacement projects every year, but I suppose they may not have had as many installs around here 10,15,20 years ago either too be fair. Andersen probably had more saturation that way. My only Marvin complaints are for air leakage on their patio doors, which makes me cringe when someone insists on that product.

toddinmn

#17 Post by toddinmn »

No offense taken, I am not an Andersen fanboy. I have only done 2 Andersen jobs in my life. Many more Marvin’s by far, simply because they were spec’d out. The crack seems odd , have never seen it nor has my Andersen rep.
Condensation goes hand in hand with seal failures IMO.
My main point is that I think fibrex is a neat and unique product , not the best or worse. I find it interesting how they use use multiple product and sometime all with in one product. When it comes to product outside of vinyl I always tell the customer to look at each one and take a little time to do their own research and use the product that meets their expectations best. Vinyl on the other hand I always push Polaris because. I am a dealer which gets me the best prices for the both of us and is just simpler for me. I will always put in what ever is requested and Like you share my experiences. You’re my favorite to argue with And that. Is when I seem to learn the most . Have a great weekend and if you can name your top 5 innovations in the last 30 years so I can argue on.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

Crack....Whitney said it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jR1Y1w1yvM

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:26 pm No offense taken, I am not an Andersen fanboy. I have only done 2 Andersen jobs in my life. Many more Marvin’s by far, simply because they were spec’d out. The crack seems odd , have never seen it nor has my Andersen rep.
Condensation goes hand in hand with seal failures IMO.
My main point is that I think fibrex is a neat and unique product , not the best or worse. I find it interesting how they use use multiple product and sometime all with in one product. When it comes to product outside of vinyl I always tell the customer to look at each one and take a little time to do their own research and use the product that meets their expectations best. Vinyl on the other hand I always push Polaris because. I am a dealer which gets me the best prices for the both of us and is just simpler for me. I will always put in what ever is requested and Like you share my experiences. You’re my favorite to argue with And that. Is when I seem to learn the most . Have a great weekend and if you can name your top 5 innovations in the last 30 years so I can argue on.
The cracks were in the vinyl exterior cladding and on multiple windows. I don't disagree that they are kind of odd, no sign of any impact or stress of any nature though.
Not following you on the condensation-- seal failure relationship. Maybe you are saying the condensation is more likely on a window with a failed seal as it will be colder? ... or referring to the condensation in between panes when the seal fails?

toddinmn

#20 Post by toddinmn »

I meant that a window continuously exposed to condensation is more likely to have a seal failure. Water does bad things especially in freeze /thaw environments. I have seen many spacers rust this.

HomeSealed

#21 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:40 pm I meant that a window continuously exposed to condensation is more likely to have a seal failure. Water does bad things especially in freeze /thaw environments. I have seen many spacers rust this.
gotcha

toddinmn

#22 Post by toddinmn »

So we can agree on at least this?

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:45 pm So we can agree on at least this?

TheWindowNerd

#24 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I moved to a used house, new to me three years ago.
I had never seen an AW vinyl crack like the frame crack pictured in the photos. But I have a casement sash that is cracked like that, a stress crack, not and impact crack.
Now being in Philly I could say go Eagles as in AW E series :lol:

Double Hung

#25 Post by Double Hung »

The advertising push by Renewal here in the Northeast has been incredibly strong over the past 12 months - print, canvassing, local TV.

DanMoore

#26 Post by DanMoore »

My only Marvin complaints are for air leakage on their patio doors, which makes me cringe when someone insists on that product.
HomeSealed, I'm currently considering Marvin Integrity all Ultrex windows/patio doors and am concerned about the patio door performance, do you suggest the Andersen 100 instead?

HomeSealed

#27 Post by HomeSealed »

DanMoore wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 pm
My only Marvin complaints are for air leakage on their patio doors, which makes me cringe when someone insists on that product.
HomeSealed, I'm currently considering Marvin Integrity all Ultrex windows/patio doors and am concerned about the patio door performance, do you suggest the Andersen 100 instead?
I'd be lying if I said that I have ever installed an Andersen 100 door. I'd say that my thoughts on the windows could be applied to the door as well, but I can't say that I've experienced the air tightness of it. I've done the regular Andersen door (400?) and had fine results with those.
I find that the higher end vinyl doors seal tighter than their wood or fiberglass counterparts, and the air leakage ratings would fall inline with that as well. As far as the all ultrex integrity, that unfortunately is another product that I have not installed. Windows yes, and the wood/ultrex door yes. That is the one that we've gotten complaints on. I rarely sell all ultrex as unless there is a specific option or factor that would require it, a higher end vinyl window/door will outperform that all ultrex product. Essentially, we recommend vinyl to those clients that prioritize performance over appearance, and wood interiors to those that need that rich aesthetic factor. The use of the all-ultrex would maybe be for someone that wants a painted interior color other than white. Just my opinion on those factors anyway...

toddinmn

#28 Post by toddinmn »

The Andersen 400 series Frenchwood gliding single panel door has an air infiltration rating of 0.01 the last I checked. Don’t know if any vinyl products that beat that

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#29 Post by masterext »

Homesealed makes some great points. Although some of the higher end vinyl now rivals wood in terms of aesthetics, particularly the okna 1000.