Thermal - Park Avenue Signature Collection

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jwin

Thermal - Park Avenue Signature Collection

#1 Post by jwin »

Hi,

I finally decided to take the plunge to replace the 20 year old windows in my home. I have:

10 DH
8 Casement (4 are tempered glass)
2 PW
1 3LS (80x40, require full tear out)
10 Transom

I have an offer to replace all the above with the Thermal Park Avenue Signature Collection with the E3 Krypton for a total around $15,500. I have reviewed the specs for these windows and they seem to be good mid-grade level windows in particular with the E3 Krypton glass package. The company is privately own now and additional features were added to this model back in 2016. However, I don't see much reviews on these windows. I believe I am getting a fair deal. Love to hear your insights and comments. Thanks for your time.

HomeSealed

Re: Thermal - Park Avenue Signature Collection

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

So including the transoms (counted individually), it sounds like you have over 30 windows total? ... obviously the transoms may be a little less and some others like the 3sl and tempered units will be more, but that price for that many windows is extraordinarily aggressive. When the triple pane with krypton is figured in, your concern should not be "is this a fair deal", it should be "what are the red flags or catches here".

More specifically, the window is not my favorite, but not bad either as I believe they updated that old pocket sill extrusion design (One of the other pros please correct me if I'm wrong on that)... If anything, the financial stuff and warranty concerns could be a cause for consideration, but that depends on your appetite for risk.
How about the dealer though? Are they reputable? Solid history? This is the aspect that could make or break a deal.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Homesealed is correct, very low price. We do a version of that window based upon Thermal's 9500 series privately labeled with slightly different locks on the double-hungs (Ashland Duo-Tech locks), and black intercept spacing, plus some other bells and whistles. Pretty darn good window and is very similar to the platform in which ProVia is basing their flagship vinyl off of. The DH units do not feature a pocket/irrigation sill system anymore as it's a true sealed seal with pitched sill face.

I don't know why their casements have irrigation weeps with baffles on their sills and find that kind of odd in this day and age?

jwin

#4 Post by jwin »

Hi HomeSealed,

Yes, it is 31 windows and I am counting the transom as individual window. The company that provided this offer is a family owned business that's been around since the early 80s. They installed windows for some of my colleagues and they did a very nice job. So from that standpoint, I believe the company is a reputable company.

They also offer the Potomac HP for approximately the same price without the E3 Krypton glass package. To me it's a no brainer to go with the Thermal Signature collection with the E3 Krypton glass package. Unless the Potomac HP is much more superior in design than the Thermal, which I don't believe it is.

Are there anything specifics about the Thermal that make this window not one of your favorites? Thanks.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

The park avenue is a pretty good window which was newly designed about 2 years ago,its actually a deceuninck extrusion with a fully welded sill. . Ironically, the old Potomac HP was the same window that the new Park Avenue currently is. The Vytex Potomac HP is newly designed and its a solid window in my opinion.
$15,000 for Krypton is very cheap.

WindowsDirectCinci

#6 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Agree with everyone else that is a good deal for the windows. As you alluded they are a mid grade product. In comparison the Potomac is superior imo. Vytex The old Potomac and the Park avenue were basically the same window extrusion but the manufacturing quality was vastly superior with the Vytex. I'd prefer the Potomac HP in double pane over TI in its quoted features. Id rather have a premium quality in double pane. But either way looks like your getting a good price on the windows. Installation is key

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Delaware Mike, what version do you use!

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

Todd, it's Thermal's 9500 Park Avenue as a private label designed for heavy hitter local PA dealer that has a pretty nice wholesale distribution to smaller dealers. They are utilizing black stainless Intercept for glazing but had Duralite for the first 2-3 years of production, they just switched as they had too many grid alignment issues. They have the larger Ashland Duo-Tech locks instead of the lower profiled locks that ProVia Endure and Soft-Lite Elements features. I think these locks are slightly better and definitely in my opinion look more symmetrical on the keeper sash size wise. Double-strength glass, Cardinal's self cleaning glass (not sure the code), Innergy reinforcement, EPS foam filled frames, magnetic weatherstripping bottom sash seal are all standard.

I can opt for regular locks and tilts and drop the magnetic bottoms sash weatherstripping to lower the price at will too. Lifetime glass breakage is standard too. I have the ProVia versions direct, and I've seen the Vytex and United versions of this platform and think Thermal has the best looking version. The thing that I don't care for is the narrow and shallow utility groove for capping returns. Plus, Thermal has to constantly police the QC on their products and it's a lot of work to get things right from them.