Replacement Windows for Rental Duplex?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DanMoore

Replacement Windows for Rental Duplex?

#1 Post by DanMoore »

First off, I appreciate the information that I've been able to find so far on this forum! I've tried to read through as many relevant threads as I can find but still have some lingering questions. As some background, I own a duplex that was built in 1977 and has original aluminum windows (double pane, I think? About 1/3 of them have condensation between the panes). I'd like to replace the windows (14 sliders) and patio doors (2 section sliders) and have gotten the following quotes:

1) Andersen 100 - $17k
2) Marvin Integrity all Ultrex - $22k
3) Amsco Studio - $10k

Here are the questions that I'm trying to answer:

1) Is the longevity/durability of composite/fiberglass worth the nearly 2x price difference?
2) A main worry is the performance of the patio doors as these get the most use. Is there a large difference between these offerings?

Thanks!

PS, we live in Salt Lake City and don't have access to many of the higher end vinyl products that are often suggested

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Windows for Rental Duplex?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Answers:

1. If we are talking about good vinyl, no.
2. I am not super familiar with the Amsco, but the Andersen and Marvin will be comparable.

DanMoore

#3 Post by DanMoore »

Thanks for the super quick reply! A few follow up questions:

1) I'm having a hard time evaluating what makes "good vinyl". Amsco is built locally here in SLC and, like all other brands that I've been researching, has both positive and negative reviews. The studio definitely isn't as attractive as something like the Andersen 100, but I don't have a lot of ways of measuring longevity/durability. I'm not terribly worried about getting the maximum available performance/efficiency, as the tenants pay utilities and anything new will be significantly better than what's in there now.
2) Is it a terrible idea to mix and match the sliding doors? Use Amsco for the windows and Andersen for the doors?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. If you ask enough people, you will have some good and some bad feedback. Everyone with a computer has an opinion and what doesn't quite come through via the computer screen is if its valid or baseless. Keep that in mind.

2. Not a huge deal to mix and match doors and windows. They look different enough so its not a major deal.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I touched on this in another thread, but you will be hard pressed to beat a quality vinyl window if aesthetics are not a major factor for you. Performance, durability, warranty, price, etc.