height of slider windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
joek

height of slider windows

#1 Post by joek »

two different companies for sliders; one stated that sliders should not be taller than 62 inches; the other said they were ok. My windows are 72 inches that I am considering.

HomeSealed

Re: height of slider windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Size min and max will vary by manufacturer. Unfortunately, there is no set rule to go by as to how that pertains to quality, as having a smaller max size could be needed because the product is weak and inferior, OR could be because the manufacturer is more mindful of the product that they are putting out and ensuring that the client will be satisfied (not making a product that is more likely to have issues simply to get a sale).

That said, I'd recommend against going overly tall on sliders as they have a tendency to rock when operated. Not sure if you are replacing dh's or ca's and only considering sliders to save $$$, but if that is the case, I'd personally stick with the what may be the original config at that height.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I agree with Homesealed and do not recommend 72” tall sliders as they will not operate as smoothly as customers typically expect. For reference, that’s only 8” shorter than a patio door and you can’t get the same quality of rollers on the bottom of the sliding window that you get on a patio door.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am always careful with the width of sliders effecting the rock.
The wider the wheel base the less the potential for rock. A 72" x 72" slider is going to behave nicely, a 48" x 72" slider is going to rock.
Okna has a track upgrade, similar to a patio door track and rollers, ezglide.