Simonton vs Slocomb

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kimovesfl

Simonton vs Slocomb

#1 Post by kimovesfl »

I've received 4 quotes for replacement of 15 windows, and I've narrowed it down to 2.
1. $10,200 for Simonton 5500 double hung, Baxter Windows and Doors
2. $7100 for Slocomb 4300 double hung, Ecoview

I have a 1200 sq ft cement block house built in 1959. We have no plans to move. Is the Simonton worth $3000 more? I got a lower quote for Simonton from one company, who actually charged more for Slocomb and were a hard sell on the Slocomb. I was unhappy with their sales technique (hard sell), and getting upset that my husband was not with me when the salesman arrived, and ignoring me completely once I told them I wanted a written quote for the Simonton.

Which is the best value for my money? Notice I'm not saying the cheapest, that's clear.

I am in Orlando, FL.

Delaware Mike

Re: Simonton vs Slocomb

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Not a fan of Slocumb. It's a cheap window for dealers to purchase wholesale and might look okay on paper, however most of their various series are pretty flimsy extrusions wise, horrible welds (fit and finish), and put together with very poor quality control. It's also a fussy product for the installer to tweak correctly for the locks, reveals, and weatherstripping to work correctly. No field mechanic needs to deal with that.

Your install must be very challenging for the Simonton's to be at that price? That's like 30-year old platform that Simonton is still riding off with and it's not because it's a totally awesome product. I've not heard a lot of good things about Simonton's QC since Plygem acquired them recently. I don't really know what the Florida market is like for vinyl windows but at those prices I find it hard to believe that's the best one can do? Sorry for the Negative Nelly feedback.

kimovesfl

#3 Post by kimovesfl »

That was about the lowest Simonton quote I got. I got one for almost $14k, another for $9000, but was not happy with how that company treated me. I might not have a choice as to which to get because of financing. Credit union denied my home improvement loan, and the Slocomb dealer has very favorable financing that I can most likely qualify for.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Slocomb is a decent window, certainly not upper teir. I would certainly choose it over simonton. I think you will be ok with that choice. Although the cost doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. Very cheap.
That said, ive never seen or heard of the 4300 eco view.

WindowsDirectCinci

#5 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

What Slocomb model? I used to be a Slocomb dealer and still occasionally will order some windows. They will back the product up if you ever have any issues and there customer service has been excellent whenever needed. 4300 isn't one of there models so whoever your getting that window from has rebranded it