Want Patio Door with Excellent Screen & Rollers

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
mailmanx

Want Patio Door with Excellent Screen & Rollers

#1 Post by mailmanx »

OK, now that I've been replacing my windows, I've got the bug to replace my two patio sliders. They are both the standard size of roughly 71" X 80", but are the miserable old aluminum single pane windows from the 1970's. You can actually feel air blowing around the frame. The original screens are long since gone and replaced with after-market screens that don't work worth a sheet.

Is this the right forum to ask about patio doors? If not, please point me in the right direction. I don't want to be a bother.

I started researching patio doors and screens. Good Lord, it's mind-boggling. Kind of like researcing windows! Ha!

I want sliders that have excellent hardware (no plastic rollers) and, expecially, have screens that actually roll well and don't fall off whenever they feel like it. I am willing to pay well to get quality. However, I want to be able to install these doors myself. I am very handy and do all my own home improvement projects. I am not afraid of removing the old doors and refurbishing the water barrier.

I heard that Anderson Permashield doors are good, but some people say the screens suck. If so, that's not for me. I read that Sunrise doors have top sliding screens. That intrigues me. The theory sounds good. How are they in real life?

I'd rather not have internal shades. However, I'll tolerate them if the best door for me comes standard with those and they can't be omitted

I hope this is enough info to help you to advise me. Let me know what door/screen combos will fit my wish list, and where I might buy them.

Thanks so much!
Michael
Last edited by mailmanx on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Want Patio Door with Excellent Screen & Rollers

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most of the premium doors will have brass roller because that is cheap insurance and if the door is heavy, you actually require it.

The Sunrise door is one of the best vinyl doors on the market and the Okna 8800 is probably the most heavy duty door on the market (DP-60, air infiltration of 0.06, 4 mill glass vs. 3 mill). The only complaint I get about the 8800 series is that it can be a bit heavy during the first week. People either get stronger or the weatherstripping relaxes a bit.

Those would be my two recommendations in vinyl.

TLHWINDOW

#3 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Hey WoW, how are the screens?

The only doors I've come across with a decent rolling screen is the Gorell. It has a hanging screen.

The other one is by Custom Windows, there screen is on the inside so it doesn't collect all the dirt problems.

Of course I am in Florida so we can't get Okna or some of the other brands.

mailmanx

#4 Post by mailmanx »

Day-am! It's hard finding dealers for some of those windows in CA. For sure, I cannot find Okna, Gorell or Custom Windows. I think I may have found a dealer for Sunrise, but it's not close to me.

I guess I'll have to start trolling some of the local window & door stores to test the equipment.

I want a screen that my grandson can run into at full speed and not knock it off the track. I know, that's a bit extreme. But so far, him, my son's big dog, my wife's little dog and even my blasted cat have knocked the screen off my current patio doors. I've had enought of that crap! I want an industrial strength screen. Something capable of a small nuclear blast would be cool. If not that, is a claymore too much to ask?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

TLHWINDOW wrote:Hey WoW, how are the screens?

The only doors I've come across with a decent rolling screen is the Gorell. It has a hanging screen.

The other one is by Custom Windows, there screen is on the inside so it doesn't collect all the dirt problems.

Of course I am in Florida so we can't get Okna or some of the other brands.
Pretty good. They are not hangers but the full metal sill extrusion provides a nice rolling surface and deep pocket for it to work in.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do alot of Andersen sliders. I do not find them to be the best thermal performer.
A nice thing about them is you can get a replacement part just about anywhere.
I have not had one customer complaint about the screens.

mailmanx

#7 Post by mailmanx »

Any new dual pane slider will be a better performer than my old single pane sliders. I went to a couple of stores today hoping to try the Anderson slider screens. Unfortunately, they were not in stock to try. I did, however, stumble across the Milgard Tuscany door. That's the same brand and model as the windows I'm installing. The screen on that moved flawlessly.

My wife found a display for retractable sliders and fell in love with them. Naturally, she fell in love with the $400 unit. OUCH!! However, I have to agree those worked and looked great. Crazy price, through. I wonder how they hold up? Anyone here use those?

Michael

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you mean a retractable screen I like the Phantom brand. Does a great job.
I would check to see how this might be aplied to the unit you are considering to install(the door). They all have a built in screen/track system, so most retractable units have to modify the existing unit, sill adaptors etc.

mailmanx

#9 Post by mailmanx »

anthony wrote:If you mean a retractable screen I like the Phantom brand. Does a great job.
I would check to see how this might be aplied to the unit you are considering to install(the door). They all have a built in screen/track system, so most retractable units have to modify the existing unit, sill adaptors etc.
Yes, Phantom is the one. Awesome screen. But, with the cost so high, and the need to modify any existing screen track, I will probably not go that route. I'd rather find a quality sliding patio door that already incorporates a screen that works well.