Window fit issue...

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
elliot

Window fit issue...

#1 Post by elliot »

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some solid advice as to what I should do here-- we're doing a full basement remodel and don't really have the budget to order custom fit windows. Unfortunately, the windows we have are about 1.5"-2" short (each of the 3 we're replacing are slightly different), leaving a pretty large gap at the top. They fit great on the width, however. We've been told conflicting things here. Most are telling us we need to just plug the (giant) gap with backer rod and foam insulation and call it a day, which seems a little crazy to me (that's a huge gap to fill with only foam). Others tell us we should use a wood furring strip at the top and bottom to bring that gap down to a more manageable size and fill what's left with backer rod and foam, which will also keep the window centered in the frame on the vertical. But the argument there is that it's only wood and far from weather-proof, and we've been told that you're only supposed to allow a gap (for foaming and backer rod) at the top, not the bottom-- which of course will make the window look extremely off-balance with the huge gap at top (and thus, larger trim at the top to cover than on the sides and bottom).

Any advice? Other than, "buy a window that fits!"? Would love to know the best practice for retrofitting here, if there is any. Hope you can help.

--Elliot

HomeSealed

Re: Window fit issue...

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Are you setting it in the existing wood frame or directly into the block? If into a frame, I'd add wood on the upper and lower to keep it consistent, then cap the exterior. If in block, I'd set it on block so that the 3 sides are consistent, and then build the top down. Under no circumstances should you just fill a gap that big with foam. Not because foam won't seal, but it would look very tacky and provide no support.
...I realize that its too late now because you probably bought windows off the shelf, but you'd be surprised at how affordable custom sized windows can be through a local builder's supply house.

TLHWINDOW

#3 Post by TLHWINDOW »

I agree with HS. Fill the gaps with wood. Sitting the window on top of a solid surface is preffered. Then fill the gap above.

elliot

#4 Post by elliot »

Thanks for the tips. I actually finally broke down and called the manufacturer to see if they could lend any support and they'd suggested the exact same thing; build it evenly top and bottom so the gaps are, a). smaller (they said never EVER go above a 3/4" gap at the top, and ideally no more than 1/2"), and, b). more cosmetically even for the trim/casing work. It's in a basement, so no wood frame-- it was just a steel frame encased in poured concrete. I was concerned about residual moisture (being below grade) rotting the wood, so I opted to use some leftover cement / hardy-backer board. I cut it to size and put it at the top and bottom to build in the frame a bit for a tighter fit, and used construction adhesive and foam (in addition to screwing it down to the metal frame) between the board and metal to ensure a water-tight fit. I also sanded, rust-proofed and primed the metal before this just in case. Finished off the built-up frame with with some flashing tape! The windows had just enough room to shim nicely and use backer rod, foam and trim to finish off...

Lets hope they hold up!

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

elliot wrote: It's in a basement, so no wood frame-
Many basement windows (the vast majority in this area) do have an original wood frame, although I always prefer to tear it out and set directly in the block/masonry. Either way, hopefully it turns out for you. Your method seems pretty creative.