Residential window replacement

Questions about functions or posting
janetb1224

Residential window replacement

#1 Post by janetb1224 »

I am getting ready to replace all the windows in my house (17 in all). I have had three companies come to the house and present their product. Of course, all of them tell me that I'm a fool to go with any other company. Window World quoted us $4000 for the entire project and another company quoted $14,000. This has left me completely confused as to who to use (btw - I am not considering Window World). Can someone give me a list of questions I should ask when calling companies to inquire about their product so I can compare them accurately? All of the companies I've seen online offer windows with installation included in the price, but from what I've read it appears that I should buy the windows and then hire a contractor to do the install. How will that affect total project cost (I've never worked with a contractor before)? Will that affect the warranty on the window? Do contractors guarantee their work? We may have some wood rot so I'm looking for a company that will replace the wood, if needed. I am located in Iowa and I'm looking for vinyl double-hung, mid-range quality, and I'd like to stay under $8000 for the project (is that reasonable??), and also would like to explore financing. I really have no idea who to trust so suggestions are welcome! This is a big, important investment and I don't want to make the wrong choice and have to deal with leakage, poor customer service, or surprise costs later on. Help!

Windows on Washington

Re: Residential window replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I can appreciate your frustration and I assure you that it is something that we hear on a daily basis between the board and between our own business contacts.

I know that you have stated that you are not going with Window World but it should be pointed out that the price that they gave you was incorrect or was not properly explained.

Their "$189" window price does not include Low-e, Grids, or any wrapping. +99% of their customer wind up getting Low-e and the Wrapping/Capping therefore drive the price up to over $350 per unit on average. Your project would then be around $6,000 and there are some questionable feedback about the product from some folks.

While the world does need to function within a budget, I would encourage you first figure out what window you like. While a $2,500 gap between $8,000 and $10,500 is a sizable number, the reality is that it works out to less than $0.70 a day over a 10 year period.

I would recommend that you look at some of the more commonly recommend brands like Soft-Lite, Okna, Sunrise, HiMark, Simonton, etc.

Best of luck and keep us posted. We will happily help you noodle through the quotes that you get.